MTV Trashes Leatherback Turtle Nesting Beach

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by erich orser, Sep 10, 2005.

1. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

This is horrible. Check out this link. I'll be posting more on this subject and seeing what negative attention I can personally bring to the production company that did this. In the meantime:

http://lowbagger.org/turtlebeach.html

Ah, reality TV!

2. William Tyson

William Tyson Vampyroteuthis Registered

wow, i wonder how trl would look if it was littered with dead baby turtles.

3. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Vile, scumbag, idiotic, wannabe's...
    death is too good for them. (the people, not the turtles)

4. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

grrrrrrrrr :mad: And I suppose they'll claim to have the properly administered permission forms for filming.......maybe they should be hit where it hurts (in the wallet) surely there must be some way to make this company pay to restore the beach and dig up the eggs before the hatchlings die a horrible death?

J

5. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

Erich, if you come up with any good ides of how we can give those murderous b******* grief, please let us know. Are their studios anywhere near you?

6. erich orser

Oh yes, actually. Just across town. Unfortunately, it's probably too late to rescue the hatchlings, if they weren't crushed by activity on the beach. This happened months ago.

7. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

Oh dear!

8. Fujisawas Sake

Fujisawas Sake Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

Sorry to go off on a rant here, but does this really surprise anyone from the U.S.? MTV is the biggest bunch of sellouts in the history of pop culture. They, who used to be about getting out the youth vote, youth environmentalism, and pop-activism are now about reality shows and dumbing down our society faster than it can be rebuilt. Its like the 60's hippies becoming 80's and 90's yuppies.

As someone who has worked with sea turtles, I realize the importance of maintaining their beaches. This bothers me due to the callousness. Sad, really. Especially since leatherbacks are THAT endangered.

John

9. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

10. Cephkid

Cephkid Sepia elegans Supporter

Oh my friggin god...

11. erich orser

I haven't contacted the main organization down there for an update yet, but here is their email address:

info@sos-tobago.org

Once again, as soon as I learn any updated information (this was going on in June/July of this year), I'll post it here.

These are amazing, extremely endangered creatures, already having had some of their only remaining nesting beaches in the Indian Ocean compromised last December by the tsunami disaster.

12. Fujisawas Sake

The leatherback is the only turtle I've never seen alive. I worry I never will. Its a bit selfish of me to say so, but I would so desperatley like to see a real live one in my lifetime. Helping to rob the world of the largest species of marine turtle since Archelon is something in which only the most idiotic, selfish, and cruel would take pleasure.

13. erich orser

Ah, the world of entertainment executives and their minions, perhaps?

14. Fujisawas Sake

Does anyone other than oversexed, drunk, clueless college students actually watch MTV anymore? I think they have truly sunk to the lowest levels of pop culture. They have become nearly completely irrelevant to pop culture and should be put out to pasture.

Sea-turtle killing morons...

15. erich orser

Honestly, I think their college demographic fled ages ago. They're aimed squarely at an even less-discriminating crowd.

16. Cephkid

Cephkid Sepia elegans Supporter

I have seen a leatherback sea turtle before in my life, and I have to ask: CAN'T WE GIVE THEM A FRIGGIN BREAK?! Just watching these amazing creatures returning to their beaches to lay eggs, you realize just how hard they have to work JUST TO MAKE THE NESTS!! Now they have to GUARD them too?!

Angrily,
    Gabe

17. erich orser

Well, Gabe, frankly there ought to be armed guards protecting their nesting areas anyway - preferably non-bribable types. Even without the horror of yet another reality TV show coming in and trashing their nesting beaches, there is a constant danger of people poaching sea turtles to feed the fetish for "wild caught" animals, just as in Africa and other parts of the developing world the exploding urban populations seem to have an insatiable demand for "bush meat".

18. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

but sometimes, all that money they got from selling "bush meat" is the way they support their familty

19. erich orser

That's an excellent point you've made there, Eric. And one I'm not going to debate because it will get me into vast heaps of trouble from all directions!

20. main_board

main_board Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Thats an easy point to debate though. One perspective might be that yes, they are feeding their families (natural instinct, i suppose), but is the premanent loss of species and biodiversity worth a few families? Its not like humans are in any dire need of food. Now clearly no one in the history of the Earth will ever pass a law to such a degree because we will never think of ourselves as equals to the rest of our planet-mates (and who'd vote for such a quack anyways). I don't hate people, I just love playing the devil's advocate and find that I can often see things from many prespectives. I have simply choosen this moment to bless you all with my graces. Feel better about your day now? Thought so.

Cheers!