Moving my Octo System and in Need of Advice

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by jkprules, Apr 22, 2008.

1. jkprules

jkprules Cuttlefish Registered

Hey guys. So I've got a 40 gallon setup with a 20 gallon refugium/sump for what I think is a bimac. I've had him for awhile and he's about the size of a golf ball.

Here is my delema. I'm about to move to the coast which is about two and a half hours away and I'd like to take the setup with me and cause as little of a amonia spike as possible. Any advice? I've heard that Algone pads in my filter might help out once I get things set up again. Thoughts?

2. MsV

MsV Blue Ring Registered

3. Redoc

Redoc GPO Registered

Large rubbermaid type containers ( I have 3 32gal myself ) and save as much of everything that you can. Move your rock carefully to avoid killing the stuff living on it and don't let anything important dry out like your filter media with all those good bacteria. Anyway 2 hours away isn't that far.

4. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

I moved two tanks cross country, about a thousand miles. Both were fish only/live rock tanks. I put everything (all the fish and rock) in buckets of tank water. The whole process took about four days and everything came out OK, although they were all small fish. A small octopus will have no trouble with a couple hours in a bucket.