mountains of madness radio show

Discussion in 'Culture' started by monty, Dec 12, 2007.

1. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

2. Graeme

Graeme Vampyroteuthis Registered

This sounds veeeeery interesting. Mountains of Madness is possibly my fave HPL story too.:smile:

3. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Mine too!

4. monty

well, I paid my $10 and downloaded the mp3, but haven't listened yet... I'll give a review when I do, but I have a very busy schedule for the next week, so don't hold your breath.

5. Graeme

Hey Kat!! :grin: How's things? It's been a while, my friend.

I think the Elder Things might be one of my fave Mythos beasties:smile: It's funny how Lovecraft actually took a sympathetic stance with them, instead of being just alien monsters; it's the part where he talks about how one of them would (without giving too much away) have felt "waking up" to all the panic around it, and how it would quite rightly be scared and distressed.

and the line that went something like "they were scientists just as we are", or something like that. Makes you realise that no matter how bizzarre Lovecrafts' (and others') creations are, not all of them evil (in fact very few of them are, they just think on a much highrer scale than we do).

6. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

The banality of Elders? Reminds me of a few members of a certain high-IQ club.

Lovecraft should work very well as radio theater, better than cinema in some ways.

Clem

7. monty

I hope that editor uses this in her resignation:

"Please accept my resignation. I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member" - Groucho Marx

8. monty

Well, I think I got my $10 of enjoyment out of the mp3 by listening to it by flickering lamplight during a midnight power failure. I enjoyed it, but not quite as much as the book.

Of course, in this setting The Haunter of the Dark might have been a better choice...

9. monty

I just downloaded their next story, The Dunwich Horror ( http://www.cthulhulives.org/store/store.lasso?1=product&2=32919 ) which I'm listening to as I write.

edit: even though I like the Mountains of Madness more as a book, the Dunwich Horror worked better as a radio show, IMHO. Thumbs up from me (if you're into that sort of thing)

10. monty

11. Graeme

Surely this isn't true!? Publicity for the supposed Del Torro movie perhaps?

It sounds too good to be true.