Morpheus

I wish Mucktopus would come up for air and take a look at this little guy. In the back of my mind I seem to remember one other nocturnal like this a long time ago but would not have a clue on how to find the entry. You might put a new note in your ID thread and reference the journal with a link to get either her or Neogonodactylus' attention. Be sure to mention that it appears to be nocturnal if you add a post there.

Looks Male for sure. Abdopus for sure. Will most likely become diurnal once adapted, just give it time. My female had no set schedule when I got her, but after a while it started having a regular daylight schedule until the biological clock kicked in.

Has any one ever thought that the red lights are making him think that it is day time? I have read in some journals that octopuses dont like the red lights. When i had my aculeatus i noticed that it could come out after it was dark when i shined my red flash light in the tank(to look at the nocturnal stuff).

Thank you everyone for all the input, I really appreciate the help :biggrin2:

Last night, lights went off at 6:00pm but he didn't appear until 10:00pm. I tried to feed a small chunck of shrimp. He grabbed onto the stick then proceeded to move up the stick, got within an inch of my fingers then he moved away. I tried again an hour later, he showed no interest :sad:
He porceeded to check out the top perimeter of the tank, it seemed like he was looking for a way out. I sure am gald I have a tight fitting top.
My husband works nights and has yet to see the octopus awake. He woke me up this morning at 6:20, he was very excited because the ocotpus was out. Lights went on at 6:00. We watched as the little octopus as he crawled across the glass. After a good 1/2 hour, he let go and jetted across the tank and into the rockwork.

(bluespotoctopus, I was thinking the same thing, he keeps the one leg curled, have not noticed he enlarged suckers, will go back and study the photos.)

It has only been 2 days so he is definately not settled in yet. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
should I be concerned about his refusal of food. Is there something else I should try? I have plenty of hermits, snails and a shrimp in the tank that would be easy pickins. I have not noticed any remains so not sure if he is eating or not.
Here are the photos I took this morning~

1016a.jpg

1016b.jpg

1016c.jpg

1016d.jpg

1016e.jpg

Fiddler crabs seem to be the universal, irresistible food but only put one or two in the tank and don't replace until those are consumed. It is always better when you know they eat but a new acclimation is nothing to go by. Keep trying to feed, most will take a thawed shrimp on a stick - as well as demanding the stick :biggrin2:

You may want to get approx 4 rather than 2. I have found (but not with fiddlers) that sometimes an octopus will take a new food once or twice and then not again so I recommend getting a couple of feedings the first try.

The octo can handle the crab without disabling it but minimizing the possibility of minor injury and possible resulting infection is something to consider. I break the very tip off the top claw (it keeps them from pinching with the sharp part, there are no teeth in the claw itself). If you choose to do this, hold the fiddler by the body and claw together with the other hand or it will just drop the whole claw while you are trying to disable it. Since there is a considerable quantity of meat there, this is undesirable but not a big deal (sometimes they will take a loose claw if left in the aquarium but we usually feed them to the mantis when this happens).

I was checking out the back of the aquarium with a flashlight. I counted 7 empty snail shells. Last week my LFS had snails on sale I bought 30, and 15 of these were placed in this tank. Well at least I know it has been eating :lol: I imagine snails are a good food sorce yes? Well I put a fiddler in the tank and we'll see what happens. I will also try a peice of thawed shrimp tonight. We are close to a name, stay tuned...

and again thank you "D"

Yeah but this idiot just spent another $10 for a lovely octopus crab dinner. :rolleyes:

Oh, I just noticed, the sly one has emerged from his den. I hope he's hungry. I will try the shrimp I just defrosted, here goes nothin.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back