Moroteuthis robusta

Mola Mola

Cuttlefish
Registered
So after the two big Squids this is the biggest (so I read). Makes me wonder why there is not more talk on the "Robust clubhook squid". How commonly seen are they? Are there any videos of one? Any other info would be cool.

Don't know why there isn't more talk of these and their relatives........maybe "Giant Squid Wannabes" just isn't as newsworthy! The first squid I ever dissected was a large spent female Moroteuthis ingens Ever had a large (>1m ML) squid ooze through your fingers? Interesting sensation!!

Kat (Tintenfisch) should be able to tell you more, as she works with this group!

Cheers

Jean

Jean;84850 said:
Don't know why there isn't more talk of these and their relatives........maybe "Giant Squid Wannabes" just isn't as newsworthy! The first squid I ever dissected was a large spent female Moroteuthis ingens Ever had a large (>1m ML) squid ooze through your fingers? Interesting sensation!!

Kat (Tintenfisch) should be able to tell you more, as she works with this group!

Cheers

Jean

Thats really cool, thanks for the info. I envy your exprience.

Just in case people hadn't seen Kubota's famous portrait of a spent Moroteuthis...

Poppe, G.T. & Y. Goto. 1993. European Seashells. Hemmen.
Norman, M.D. 2000. Cephalopods: A World Guide. ConchBooks.

Oops, I missed this thread somehow - sorry!

M. robusta is the biggest onychoteuthid (that we know of :wink:) - it attains a mantle length of ~2m and and overall length of 4-5m, plus it has hooks, so it's cooler than Architeuthis. :razz: The Tree of Life has some info on it, and occasionally I get sent photos of specimens washed up around the Pacific Northwest. The attached are from a couple of years ago.

Attachments

• conv_290242.jpg
    conv_290242.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 947
  • conv_290243.jpg
    conv_290243.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 777
  • conv_290244.jpg
    conv_290244.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 898
... And the younger ones look like this.

In the reference below, the authors place Moroteuthis japonica and Moroteuthis pacifica into synonymy with M. robusta, and then go on to place all Moroteuthis species into the genus Onykia, considering the true Onykia species to represent juvenile forms of species that belong in the same genus as what has historically been Moroteuthis. Since Onykia is the senior name, it takes precedence, if the species do all belong in the same genus.

Tsuchiya, K., and T. Okutani. 1991. Growth Stages of Moroteuthis robusta (Verrill, 1881) with the Re-evaluation of the Genus. Bulletin of Marine Science, 49(1-2):137-147.

Attachments

• conv_290245.jpg
    conv_290245.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 268
  • conv_290246.jpg
    conv_290246.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 299

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back