More Lebanese soft bodies

Hi cuttlegirl, it's about 10 cm long and has shown all the repertoire of colours (including the neon blue line) and textures (smooth to covered in tubercles) that I've seen in the wild ones here so I'd guess Sepia pharaonis.

I did! Here's a picture of an eye which I find fascinating. It's a very photogenic animal, now named "Ramses". The eye of the laterally-preserved coleoid shown above is also remarkable and I'll take a close-up of that a little later.

Attachments

• conv_297246.jpg
    conv_297246.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 99
Thanks Bathypol, but this is definitely play for me and not work! I suspect though that professionals working on material like this (Dirk Fuchs and colleagues) also find a lot of pleasure in their job - with this kind of preservation it becomes so easy to visualise the living animals.

I'm with cuttlegirl on her interpretation of muscles in the eye capsule (we're tongue-in-cheek on the "eyelashes"). The structures are actually mostly concentric and there's an irregular edge to the flake preserving a "shallower" portion of the fossil. I'll make a more detailed drawing a little later this evening.

Here's a beautifully preserved published specimen showing the eye capsules, the holotype of Glyphiteuthis abisaadiorum (Fuchs & Weis 2009).

Attachments

• conv_297271.jpg
    conv_297271.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 106

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back