More Lebanese soft bodies

Two to start with: one a 6 cm coleoid in lateral view (not sure which this is); the second a complete 17 cm Dorateuthis syriaca (Prototeuthidina according to Fuchs here).

Attachments

• conv_304329.jpg
    conv_304329.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 129
  • conv_304330.jpg
    conv_304330.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 117
  • conv_304331.jpg
    conv_304331.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 95
Hi Ob. I think the dendrites are just the usual - post-depositional pyrolusite (manganese dioxide). There's a baby skate in the top right hand corner with pyrolusite dendrites in the position of its eyes.

Here attached is a sketch showing the position of the ink sac (I want to write "sack", but I see this written "sac" even in English texts).

Attachments

• conv_297231.jpg
    conv_297231.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 96
A few more pictures (now that I'm back from "the most important of all the unimportant things in the world", i.e. football). Here you go cuttlegirl, a close-up of the tail end of the gladius in the laterally-preserved animal. The white layer at the top is made of francolite (carbonate fluorapatite) - it fluoresces spectacularly under UV light.

Attachments

• conv_297232.jpg
    conv_297232.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 109
Hajar;165848 said:
Hi Ob. I think the dendrites are just the usual - post-depositional pyrolusite (manganese dioxide).

OK, that explains the dendrites dorsally, I had trouble making sense of it otherwise :wink: I take it the ink has a tendency to solidify post mortem, for such a three dimensional shape to remain, even following fossilization?

Thanks Hajar. That is so cool, cuttlebones today have a top layer (that corresponds to the francolite layer) and then the chambers are laid down laterally and ventrally from the top layer.

I found a google book that has nice drawings of the anatomy of some cephalopods. Starts on page 559. It's an old book (1861), but with incredibly detailed illustrations. It doesn't concentrate on cuttlefish as much as I would like, but has some octopus anatomy and Nautilus anatomy.

The General Structure of the Animal Kingdom

Also, this book starting on page 517.

The Cyclopaedia of Anatomy and Physiology

Also, how do you differentiate between the ink sac and not the stomach? In other words, how did you determine that it was the ink sac and not the stomach? The ink sac is connected to the stomach, but ventral to the stomach. See figure 221 on page 535 of the second book.

Thanks for the links cuttlegirl.

Yes, the ink sacs are preserved in 3D and still contain ink (which falls out leaving the external mould), whereas the stomachs are preserved flattened, as in this Dorateuthis.

The francolite in this specimen is an early precipitate recording the soft parts of the mantle rather than part of the gladius.

Incidentally I just went out to buy a crinoid for the aquarium, but since there was a cuttlefish I brought that home too. Fascinating to observe.

Attachments

• conv_297235.jpg
    conv_297235.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 87

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back