More Lebanese soft bodies

Thanks for the link Terri. What a great photo of trilobite appendages. It is not how I imagined them...

Attachments

• conv_297354.jpg
    conv_297354.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 115
I thought they looked more like a scarab or beetle with a skeleton and did not realize they had extended legs. It was the one critter I THOUGHT I might be able recognize in a rock.
trilos.jpg

I am glad you posted the link Terri as it is written for the extreme novice and I can understand it :oops: (:wink:). It breaks time periods down smaller than the two charts I have posted on my wall to try to visualize who was alive when but at least Devonian shows up and I have a general idea.

How much fun do you all have while I'm asleep or at work?!

Thanks for the Bristol link Terri. With trilobites we're straying far from cephalopods, but if you like them, here's a page of legs and guts. If I were a cuttlefish I'd consider them food.

The Hunsruck orthocone image is from Bartels, Briggs & Brassel (1998) and yes the features interpreted as arms/tentacles at the head end are much fainter than the pyritized phragmocone. When I take my own photos of these x-radiographs I invert them, so see if the negative of the scanned image (attached) helps.

Attachments

• conv_297357.jpg
    conv_297357.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 107
Obviously too much fun Hajar! We have been chastised by our Leader:roll:. I was very unclear about the context of what I wanted to show on the link, which is under "taphonomy" it explains the forces needed to create soft body parts. Very understandable for any non-scientists out there! So you see I was on-topic:biggrin2:. I just confused everyone into thinking I was not:heee:. As CG said in one of your other threads,
sorry for the derailing of your thread.:goofysca:

I'm with you! It's so rare to glimpse the soft parts of such ancient creatures that it's well worth the effort to understand how these cases of exceptional preservation come about.

I think I'll just leave you with the caption in the book: "complete shell showing the soft-parts of the animal within the living chamber - the black lines crossing the shell are cracks infilled with quartz.." I can certainly see structure that could be interpreted as multiple arms, but perhaps the original radiograph is clearer than the photo in the book. The best test would be for an expert preparator like Peter Hohenstein to carefully expose the lightly pyritized structures at the head end with air abrasives, guided by the radiograph. He prepared several of the specimens here in this way.

If the cracks are through the soft parts, and not just the shell, it makes me a little less skeptical. The outer two or three shadows could be made into arms, but the center two are just too square. The fossils on your site are just beautiful and crystal clear, you can definitely see what they are, perhaps better prep would show the arms better. :smile:

Terri,
Tony was not suggesting your soft bodied post was off topic, it was our (and he participated but I indulged) side trip to ease of forum use that garnered the back to main topic suggestion :wink:

Well thanks D, I kind of got that, but don't want to ever do anything to jepordize my acceptance in this community, it is awesome, I have learned more than i ever thought possible during this last year. I have browsed every forum of this type that is out there on the web and there is NO OTHER website that even compares to Tonmo! On top of that you all can be quite hilarious, which eleviates the brain strain a little bit. :notworth:

Terri, you would have to intentionally TRY to disrupt (or be a spammer) to begin to have any issues ... and we are allowed, nay encouraged, to off topic in the Supporters Forum ... need to drag Hagar there :biggrin2: and complements to the site are always welcomed :biggrin2:

You are not the only one learning from this thread! I now have two (simple) timelines posted to my left to try to get a feel for the fossils exposed herein.

My nice simple one that I hope to eventually commit to memory (or at least the order) just has the system periods so I printed this one and put it where I can put enough light to SEE so I can find the other mystery words and relate them :old:

Terri;166915 said:
Well thanks D, I kind of got that, but don't want to ever do anything to jepordize my acceptance in this community, it is awesome, I have learned more than i ever thought possible during this last year. I have browsed every forum of this type that is out there on the web and there is NO OTHER website that even compares to Tonmo! On top of that you all can be quite hilarious, which eleviates the brain strain a little bit. :notworth:
Thank you Terri! What D said.

Now back to work! :nofeet: :wink:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back