More Lebanese soft bodies

I doubt their rings would fossilize as the rings are easily lost when you grind them down in fresh samples. Actually, I have had some samples where the statolith has disintegrated completely while trying to remove it.

As for the "needle in a haystack" comment, the statoliths aren't too hard to find after a while. It just takes some patience and about 100 specimens of practice :smile:

Jumping back to Terri's question about soft-part preservation I had a quick check of the Hunsruck Slate (Early Devonian, Germany) literature and found the attached x-radiograph image of an orthocone from the Katzenberg Mine which seems to show arms/tentacles. It looks fairly convincing.

Attachments

• conv_297352.jpg
    conv_297352.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 128
Thanks Hajar, intriguing image! I googled Hunsruck Slate and there's a nice website with a very good description of conditions needed for soft part preservation, which most of you probably don't need, but for me explained a lot.:roll:

Sorry I didn't post the link, but did not want "D" to have to come along and fix it.:goofysca:
(never seems to work for me)

... but, but NOT posting the link means I can't SEE it. I would rather FIX it than MISS it. I promise to work on a site "HOW TO" Q & A very soon

ASSUMING you are using a Windows PC (I am a MAC dummy) , the simplest way to post a URL (website link) is to open a separate tab or window, visit the site and copy the URL from your browser's address bar by clicking on it once (it will turn all blue) then right clicking and selecting Copy. Then return to the TONMO thread, place your cursor in the reply box where you want the URL, right click and paste. This is not the prettiest way but it will get the job done.

To make the link slightly more attractive :roll:, once you have copied the target URL return to TONMO and type the words you want to use as a link and then highlight them using your cursor and the left mouse button. Next click on the world with a chain icon. This will popup a small window with http:// highlighted. RIGHT click ON THE BLUE highlighted http:// and select paste, then select OK. If you have an extra http:// in the textbox, you clicked on the text box after the initial http:// rather than directly on the blue. You will need to remove one of them for the link to work or just leave it and I will fix it :biggrin2:

Sometimes the dispayed address for a link does not take you exactly where you want to go. Being able to go directly to a page is dependent on the way the website routes the user but this works in MOST cases.

:heee: Well I can certainly SEE the dilemma now that I have re-read my post I could have at LEAST said that it was the FIRST website on the page! Or I could just once and for all learn how to PROPERLY post a thread which I will attempt to do shortly, thanks very much for the instructions, I will go with the less pretty option for now. Since Tony has deemed you one of the forum elves I appreciate your fixing it if I fail.:smile: (technology gives me a headache).

Terri;166819 said:
Okay that was really easy and now I'm embarrassed!:oops:
I'm embarrassed. TONMO.com needs to be universally accessible and totally intuitive. You guys all bring the ceph knowledge, and ceph interest -- it's my job to facilitate your interactions. We'll get there -- thanks for staying with us -- this isn't as easy as it should (or will) be! Of course, I mostly rely on vBulletin forum software -- that's what has dominated this site's functionality since the end of 2003. Great product, I love it, but we've all got a long way to go. The next few years will be interesting.

You guys would never make it as programmers if you embarrass that easily :tongue:

The fun part about the internet is the variety of backgrounds that come together. The hard part of programming for it is addressing those backgrounds to make something easy to use. Programmers as a lot (myself included) assume some line of base knowledge (the base is not fixed but assumed by each programmer at some arbitrary level). We could do this when we knew or trained our clients. Now the world is our client and it is a different ball game. Most programming is done by people who grew up with computers in school so their assumptions are based on a higher level of expected client knowledge than my own generation. I still have a major problem with the vanishing edit pencils and some of the other "where did it go" menu options that are part of the newest design formats.

Enough rant (Tony what happened to the soap box smiley? Do I need to change Ivory to plain soap?)

Attachments

• conv_297353.gif
    conv_297353.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 113

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back