More Lebanese soft bodies

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Amazing quality, what's with the dendrites? Ink?

Hajar

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ob. I think the dendrites are just the usual - post-depositional pyrolusite (manganese dioxide). There's a baby skate in the top right hand corner with pyrolusite dendrites in the position of its eyes.

Here attached is a sketch showing the position of the ink sac (I want to write "sack", but I see this written "sac" even in English texts).

Attachments

Hajar

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Reaction score
A few more pictures (now that I'm back from "the most important of all the unimportant things in the world", i.e. football). Here you go cuttlegirl, a close-up of the tail end of the gladius in the laterally-preserved animal. The white layer at the top is made of francolite (carbonate fluorapatite) - it fluoresces spectacularly under UV light.

Attachments

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Hajar;165848 said:
Hi Ob. I think the dendrites are just the usual - post-depositional pyrolusite (manganese dioxide).
OK, that explains the dendrites dorsally, I had trouble making sense of it otherwise :wink: I take it the ink has a tendency to solidify post mortem, for such a three dimensional shape to remain, even following fossilization?

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Hajar. That is so cool, cuttlebones today have a top layer (that corresponds to the francolite layer) and then the chambers are laid down laterally and ventrally from the top layer.

I found a google book that has nice drawings of the anatomy of some cephalopods. Starts on page 559. It's an old book (1861), but with incredibly detailed illustrations. It doesn't concentrate on cuttlefish as much as I would like, but has some octopus anatomy and Nautilus anatomy.

http://books.google.com/books?id=zd0UAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Also, this book starting on page 517.

http://books.google.com/books?id=V1sgAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA546&lpg=PA546&dq=cuttlebone+anatomy&source=bl&ots=FW_O6PG2IY&sig=x1AAShnPAPvE9bmTUWFLbxOkqxg&hl=en&ei=3srSTJCnNsX6lwffz9DlDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CDkQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraPettis

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards