• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

More Flamboyant Cuttlefish Adventures

Hello Everyone, its been a LONG time since Ive posted here! I hope all has been well. I took a long break from all aquarium related forums since I started my own aquarium design business in 2008. However, I recently got back into the cephalopod bug with a group of 6 flamboyants. Im not sure if it breaks any rules to link my journal of the experience here as its hosted on a business website. If so, please delete this post. I just wanted to add to the collective knowledge of the ceph keeping world.

Flamboyant Cuttlefish Breeding Project (Metasepia pfefferi)

Let me know your thoughts! Id love to see enough people doing this that they can become more available for responsible aquarists to keep without reducing wild populations!

WELCOME BACK! It sounds like you have moved up in the world and have more space than an apartment to build out your wonderful designs!

Nice article but rearing mysis had proven to be nearly impossible in the quantities needed.

Last edited:
WELCOME BACK! It sounds like you have moved up in the world and have more space than an apartment to build out your wonderful designs!

Nice article but rearing mysis had proven to be nearly impossible in the quantities needed.

Hi There! Good to be back. Yes, my playspace has drastically increased from our old loft and my GF (now wife) is much happier that I have a 3300 sqft warehouse to make my messes in. =)

The live food thing has always been the biggest hurdle it seems. With the Flamboyants, the challenge is greater since the babies will only go for small baby mysis. This was the biggest surprise to me as Bandensis would grab a shrimp 2-3x its size. I am lucky to have a lake nearby that hosts freshwater mysis. I can get thousands in a single scoop of a net. Getting the right size is still challenging and this is where my thoughts went towards trying to breed them. But your probably right, I havent looked in great detail on what others have done with mysis breeding.

I've been away for quite a while myself and after visiting Rich at the CAOS a couple of weeks ago and seeing the flamboyant cuttles I have an itch.

I saw your article and I'm not really discouraged... it's just that the overall cost of live foods after the initial investment in the cuttles that stifles my excitement.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back