• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

MORE Bimac hatchlings looking for homes!

SueAndHerZoo

Wonderpus
Registered
The student at Boston University who I got hatchlings from (2 weeks ago) wrote me last night to tell me there are approximately 70 more that have hatched (different mother). I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I'm thinking these might be healthier/hardier since the mother octo lived through the entire gestation, whereas the ones I took lost their mother shortly after the eggs were laid.

I am going to go up and take some more from her and will then carefully and selectively share them with some of my local fellow reefers who have expressed an interest and commitment in caring for them. Those that are only interested for kicks or that haven't done any homework need not apply.

What I find amazing is that she claims this batch (all a week old or less) are taking frozen mysis already! If they continue on that path it is going to be a lot easier (and cheaper) to keep these alive!

Anyone who's willing to drive to Boston or Connecticut, let me know! She doesn't want to ship these delicate creatures and I don't think I would, either.
Sue

I am a student at Bowling Green OH and am very much interested in these little guys. I can't drive up there, are you sure she is set on 'no shipping?' All the octos I have received shipped very well? If not, I'll talk to my lab corrdinator about it.
Thanks

I'm due to get a status check from the Boston student anyway.... I'll mention it to her but I agree with Sabrina..... the youngin's have never been known to make a successful long-distance trip.
Sue

Sue, if it is convenient and you can slip it in the conversation, I would still like to get the hatchlings that did not make it that she put aside for me to photograph.

Hi D. I asked Sarah about the octos she's holding for you and got this reply: "I have been keeping those octos aside, I just keep forgetting to go to the post office to send them out. They're sitting in a jar on my dresser. I'll send those out early next week."

I'll PM you her e-mail address in case you want to follow up with her directly.

Regarding her hatchlings, she only has eight left which she thinks she's going to keep.
Sue

Thanks for mentioning my project. I don't want to be a nuisance. Thales is on a whirlwind vacation (and did not send his promised lot yet) so I am waiting on other small eggs as well. It is a home project and not for official study so timing is not critical but but I wanted her to know I still wanted them without being a pest.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back