• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Moon lighting ceph tanks

flampton

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
No this is not about getting a night job cleaning ceph tanks!

Want to know if anyone finds their ceph's annoyed by the current led moon lighting on the market. I like the way it illuminates but after reading that people were having problems with actinic lighting I was wondering about the blue leds that are currently popular now.

Thanks
eric

On my large sepia tank there was a light made with three types of bulbs, there were 2x 150watt MH, 2 Actinincs and 2x 100watt halogens. The light unit controlled all the lights and the halogens were to simulate the moon. Each night from 'no moon' the lights got a wee bit brighter until night 14 when there was a 'full moon' and the tank was quite bright at night then the next 14 days were a wee bit darker each night until no moon again and total darkness.

My observations clearly showed that the large male was always more active and showing off his zebra stripes for mating around the full moon time of the month. The moon would, just like many other inverts, be their cue in the wild to breed.

The lights are called ufo Complet (note - no 'e' at the end of complete) and made by aquaconnect.

I guess this only works if the lights go through the lunar cycle?

Colin;94860 said:
My observations clearly showed that the large male was always more active and showing off his zebra stripes for mating around the full moon time of the month. The moon would, just like many other inverts, be their cue in the wild to breed.

I guess this only works if the lights go through the lunar cycle?

Interesting, Colin are these wild caught or captive bred? The reason I ask is that many of our inverts show an endogenous biorhthym that is very strongly entrained, do you have your lunar cycle running the same as the real one? Ie is it full moon in your tank when it is full moon outside?? Our inverts are more active when it is high tide in their native environment and at full moon regardless of what's happening in the tanks (no tide and either no lunar cycle or one that is not the same as outside). It does break down after a few weeks then re establishes (often slightly "off") and continues on..........I'd be interested to know if your Sepia show similar tendencies (Chronobiology fascinates me :biggrin2:)

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back