Monterey

Monterey

hi im from monterey too (pebble beach but close enough) i havent been to the aquarium in a long time. how did you voulenteer there. is there like a form or somthing?
if you really wanna see some squid go to moss landing and watch the squid boats unload and if you have a chiller you can ask for a few squid. or if you want an octopus ask one of the drag boat capitains to bring you an octopus if they catch one it will only cost about a case of beer or something.

Hey all, this is my first time posting to the website, but I felt I had to what with all the talk of cephalopods and Monterey. I just went diving at Monastery beach in Monterey, and if you guys ever get a chance that is one of the most amazing dives I've ever done. I didn't see any cephs, but a few others in my class did. I saw some Mola Mola though, which was amazing. I have, however, seen a Cuttlefish while diving in southeastern Australia. After that, I can appreciate why some of you are sad to hear of the Cuttlefish departure from the Monterey Aquarium. I guess you'll just have to go to Australia then, eh? :P
(note: Dolphin_Girl, you're awesome for wanting to be a marine biologist. Good luck to you!)

I'm no diver, so I can't tell you about the wonders of diving in Monterey. However, I was at the aquarium a few weeks ago. Right now is a bad time to visit the aquarium if you want to see octopuses, but it's a great time to go if you want to see millions of jellies and the only baby great white to ever thrive in captivity. The great white was the reason I made the 6 hour drive and it was not disappointing. It's only about 4 feet long and is dwarfed by all the tuna in the tank with it, but it's still very cool. The species I was most impressed with was the zebra shark (or was it the Leopard, I always get the two confused) in the Kelp forest exhibit. They are harmless, but they have a look in their eyes that just says "I dare you to mess with me!"

I'm going to Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach this weekend. I hear it's pretty cool, but no Monterey.

Let us know how the Long Beach aquarium is. I've always heard good things, but haven't yet made it there. Oh, and I believe the shark you were referring to are the leopard sharks. They're pretty common up and down the coast, and the two or three that I've seen while diving are just as enigmatic as the ones you mentioned. (note-I've never heard of any Zebra shark, but then again I haven't seen everything...yet!)
:P

Man, that's horrible! Why the heck would anyone want to do something so cruel? I've worked at a few zoos, and there was a similar incident at one where someone tried to steal two Golden Eagles, and instead wound up killing and ditching them on the zoo side of the fence. Anyhow, I hope you're able to have a good time and learn something depite the murders. I'm looking forward to hearing about it.

I have never understood why people do things like the vandals did... But then there's a lot that people do which I can't understand....

Anyway I live in the Santa Cruz mountains and have had the pleasure of visiting the Aquarium... I've been to the one in Baltimore and the one in New Orleans and the one in Monte Carlo. I think Monterey is the best that I've seen. I'm also a friend of the public relations officer there, he's a great guy, I got to know him through our alpaca raising, because he and his ex used to raise them.

I'll check on the cuttlefish status, I certainly hope they didn't go.
I think one of the most intriguing critters I've seen there though was the "predatory tunicate" which looks like a translucent pacman on a stick that is attached to the coral. This was part of their "mysteries of the deep" exhibit, and you can see it on line now, as they no longer have it at the aquarium...

http://montereybayaquarium.com/efc/efc_mbh/dsc_about_life.asp

Check out the "habitat" link there is a video there of tunicates and soft coral.

See ya later! :smile:

I remember spending about an hour in front of the Cuttle exhibit with a sketchbook and drawing cuttles. Boy did I get some weird looks from people. : laughing:

Alas, the cuttle exhibit is no more. Like a lot of aquariums, they have gone totally region-specific in their menagerie so the chambered nautilus are gone now as well.

Could you imagine if the San Diego Zoo decided to go with this approach? "Here we have the feral cat enclosure. Look at those vicious tabbies! Next are the two mangy coyotes, and down in the nocturnal exhibit beside the raccoon environment you'll find our newest special exhibit: Possums! Pouch Rat of the Cul-de-sac!"

erich orser said:
Alas, the cuttle exhibit is no more. Like a lot of aquariums, they have gone totally region-specific in their menagerie so the chambered nautilus are gone now as well.

Could you imagine if the San Diego Zoo decided to go with this approach? "Here we have the feral cat enclosure. Look at those vicious tabbies! Next are the two mangy coyotes, and down in the nocturnal exhibit beside the raccoon environment you'll find our newest special exhibit: Possums! Pouch Rat of the Cul-de-sac!"
I thought the point of zoos/aquariums was to see animals you don't normally see! I mean, okay, with aquariums, it's sort of given that you're seeing things you don't normally see...!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back