Monterey FAQs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg and I are both staying at the Downtown Monterey Travelodge at about $70.00 a night. This is located a little in from the wharf/aquarium (I was told a twenty minute walk) but literally just a few blocks from the Conference Center.

I believe the hotel we will be officially working with will be the Marriott. Pipsquek has posted some suggestions, as well as the lodgings that can be found at the official Monterey website:

www.monterey.com

Another tiny group from LA has expressed interest in camping in the Big Sur area, which is further South on the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway).

I thought about camping in Big Sur, but according to the park web site, it's about a 45 minute drive to Monterrey.

I drove along the PCH on my way back to Santa Barbara when I went to the aquarium last November, and I remember it being pretty rough on my truck. Lots of twists and turns and rock slides next to a sheer drop of several hundred feet to a cold watery death made it a little stressful on my nerves too, though my passengers found it pretty relaxing.

I hear Big Sur is a great place to unwind.

places to stay in monterey

As far as staying around there goes, there is a really nice youth hostile off Lighthouse Ave. It's clean, cheap and walking distance to almost everything. It's website is:

http://www.montereyhostel.org/index.html

if anyone is interested. It does fill up fast though, so make reservations early! Also, I mentioned before that I will gladly carpool with anyone from the LA area? I won't camp though! I won't do it! You can't make me!! :wink: I will be driving up Fri morning and leaving late Sunday, due to school and work schedule. Also, anyone coming from SF? My friend is unable to fly or drive down, but she'll gladly hitch a ride. She's exceptionally well car trained [Won't ask for bathroom breaks, won't ask "Are we there yet?"...]

a rabid squid said:
i live in monterey and the cheapest place is the carmel hill lodge and i think the rooms arent horrible.

Heyyy, thanks for the tip! I just grabbed a room for 4 nights @ $79, no problemo.

Shepmoon (aka Steve)

Chrono,

I think he's just reserved his room for Tonmocon - better ask Pipsquek any of those details...

well, that Question was amied at the everyone who has knowledge of that place...

Does TONMOcon have a offcial hotel that Tony is working with? Was it Hilton or something?

I just got off the phone with the Monterey County Weekly, and they seem to be very interested in giving us a proper event write-up prior to the convention. As the representative mentioned, "Well, we LOVE squid!" Here's hoping the other media outlets do us justice as well.

Chrono, just doing a follow-up here: where did you and your father finally end up getting reservations? Several of us appear to be booked into the Downtown Monterey Travelodge on Munras. I elected to save money on lodgings so I'd have some left for other activities, like devouring filter-feeders at barside...

Erich, that's great news about the paper!

Eric, the hotel with the group rate is the Marriott, it is next to the conference center. The Travelodge no longer has rooms for Saturday night. There are hotels in Monterey that have packages that include aquarium admission - you can look at the Monterey Bay Aquarium website to check those out. Book a hotel soon - Monterey has a lot of visitors and places fill up.

Melissa

Melissa said:
Erich, that's great news about the paper!

Eric, the hotel with the group rate is the Marriott, it is next to the conference center. The Travelodge no longer has rooms for Saturday night. There are hotels in Monterey that have packages that include aquarium admission - you can look at the Monterey Bay Aquarium website to check those out. Book a hotel soon - Monterey has a lot of visitors and places fill up.

Melissa

How do I get the group rates while booking? I mean, what's the code or pass or proof that you're part of the group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back