Monsters of the deep

mikeconstable

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
The New Scientist article has been published. Steve O'Shea is freely quoted so TONMO has already provided much of the information first, but it is good to see an overview of the state of knowledge on giant squid in print.

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Mike, this isn't fair!!!! I haven't seen it yet!!!! How can it be out so soon???? OMG, I'll have to hide from the phone.

Is TONMO.com quoted/mentioned throughout the article?

No fair! :x :x :x :x

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Awesome!!!! My goodness, a nod for TONMO.com would be awesome! Gotta get me a copy....

:oshea:

myopsida: note that I had to remove your attachment -- not only is it probably not permissable for us to reproduce the photo here (and it is quite likely/possible that New Scientist will be around here), but you also doctored it (pun not really intended)... :wink:

For anyone who wants to see the real cover:

NEW SCIENTIST

mikeconstable

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
Is TONMO.com quoted/mentioned throughout the article?

Your secret is safe - TONMO is not mentioned (sorry Tony) - until someone tries a Google search for Steve O'Shea when it is one of the top items!

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
tonmo said:
-- not only is it probably not permissable for us to reproduce the photo here (and it is quite likely/possible that New Scientist will be around here), but you also doctored it (pun not really intended)... :wink:
Myopsida, you absolute scoundrel you!! I thought my glasses needed adjusting when I saw 'your version' of the cover!! :jester:

I guess nobody cares that we also have a 4 page spread in the latest issue of SeaSpray (August/September 2003 issue); I think it is available in NZ and Australia only. :heee: (Tony, www.TONMO.com does get mention in this magazine article .... as 'one of the best sites around')... and we're presently doing a mini-doc on squid and fisheries.... busy times these are.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
heheheheheheh i love this quote :) :) :)

"It's not very bright and it is trying to coordinate a metre-long penis."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whitey

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Steve,
Did you REALLY said the following?

"If we are talking about a 200kg squid, this is an animal with a 20g brain," he told New Scientist.
"It's not very bright and it is trying to coordinate a metre-long penis.
"He's going to get a bit confused."

... or is it some kind of a journalist's misinterpretation of a joke?
If you really think so, I've got no reason to believe you're wrong... and so it's a little bit disappointing, as I always thought cephalopods were quite intelligent and smart animals, "intellectualy" speaking...
Cheers. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Candace Harrett

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards