monsterquest and colossal squid shows

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
The other night on the history channel they had a back to back monsterquest on giant squid and a special on colassal squid. It was awesome. I guess one of the foremost scientists on giant squid is attempting to grow a giant squid in a lab from an egg. Pretty amazing.

I can't remember what his name is, but it said that he had examined over 100 dead ones, more than anyone else. I guess he's the head honcho on giant squid.

Keith, in case you hadn't noticed, said head honcho is a staff member here on Tonmo. If you go to the articles, you'll notice that many of them were written by him.

Hi Keith (309 posts into it). :welcome:

A sweet job ay? Sometimes it's more about :banghead:, but that probably applies to all of us.

Hey Steve. I had a question: How are you planning to raise a giant squid? I know that probably won't have a short answer, but just the idea of it is pretty wild to me.

It's pretty simple Keith. Use a fine-meshed net (plankton net) and tow it very shallow (upper metre or so) for a very short period of time (5-10 minutes) over depths > 400 metres, in either the austral summer or winter, at one of two locations, and keep on doing it until my hands are raw from hauling nets in.

When I catch the little fellow I'll plonk it into an acrylic cylinder aboard the boat, feed it mysid shrimp that have been cultured for this purpose, talk to it nicely for 170 days .... and presto, moderate-sized giant squid.

If only it were this easy, but that's the nuts and bolts of it. All I need is the time, energy and finances to do it all over again. Time and energy are two big ones!

You need an underground base in Tierra del Fuego and an orbital ray weapon to demand one MILLION dollars from the world government....

But, on the other hand, limited success has been achieved in keeping small arrowsquid, or was that Sepioteuthis, think squidcam, anyway.

We'll have squid online again soon, Olaf. The eggs will hatch in ~ a month.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back