monsterquest and colossal squid shows

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
The other night on the history channel they had a back to back monsterquest on giant squid and a special on colassal squid. It was awesome. I guess one of the foremost scientists on giant squid is attempting to grow a giant squid in a lab from an egg. Pretty amazing.

WhiteKiboko

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Registered
Keith;124437 said:
I guess one of the foremost scientists on giant squid is attempting to grow a giant squid in a lab from an egg. Pretty amazing.
Who would attempt such a thing? :wink:

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I can't remember what his name is, but it said that he had examined over 100 dead ones, more than anyone else. I guess he's the head honcho on giant squid.

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Registered
Keith;124460 said:
I can't remember what his name is, but it said that he had examined over 100 dead ones, more than anyone else. I guess he's the head honcho on giant squid.
Before anyone teases you any more... It's Dr. Steve O'Shea.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
cuttlegirl;124463 said:
Before anyone teases you any more... It's Dr. Steve O'Shea.
:sagrin::roflmao::lol::grin:

Spoil sport - best laugh I have had in weeks. Great that someone NOT knowing was impressed though!

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Keith, in case you hadn't noticed, said head honcho is a staff member here on Tonmo. If you go to the articles, you'll notice that many of them were written by him.

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Hey Steve. I had a question: How are you planning to raise a giant squid? I know that probably won't have a short answer, but just the idea of it is pretty wild to me.

Steve O'Shea

Colossal Squid
Supporter
It's pretty simple Keith. Use a fine-meshed net (plankton net) and tow it very shallow (upper metre or so) for a very short period of time (5-10 minutes) over depths > 400 metres, in either the austral summer or winter, at one of two locations, and keep on doing it until my hands are raw from hauling nets in.

When I catch the little fellow I'll plonk it into an acrylic cylinder aboard the boat, feed it mysid shrimp that have been cultured for this purpose, talk to it nicely for 170 days .... and presto, moderate-sized giant squid.

If only it were this easy, but that's the nuts and bolts of it. All I need is the time, energy and finances to do it all over again. Time and energy are two big ones!

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
You need an underground base in Tierra del Fuego and an orbital ray weapon to demand one MILLION dollars from the world government....

But, on the other hand, limited success has been achieved in keeping small arrowsquid, or was that Sepioteuthis, think squidcam, anyway.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Sweet, which species?

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Steve O'Shea;124529 said:
It's pretty simple Keith. Use a fine-meshed net (plankton net) and tow it very shallow (upper metre or so) for a very short period of time (5-10 minutes) over depths > 400 metres, in either the austral summer or winter, at one of two locations, and keep on doing it until my hands are raw from hauling nets in.
Wow. That's pretty hardcore. Have you had any success catching babies yet?

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Keith;124535 said:
Wow. That's pretty hardcore. Have you had any success catching babies yet?
You might wish to check Steve's avatar more closely :wink:

Members online

No members online now.