Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
Reaction score

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Flawed research, apparently not taking growth rate into account.

myopsida

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
"The team also suggest that the colossal squid's huge eyes do not help it hunt, but instead help it detect and avoid predators of its own in the deep dark waters where it lives."

Why then are the eyes directed forward, giving overlap of the visual fields and 3-D perception - characteristic of a predator species rather than animals with lateral eyes more common in species that need to have all-round vision to detect predators

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Hear, hear, Chris, let's also conveniently forget about that massive Taningia like fin, giving EVERY indication of agility...

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Registered
Reaction score
If they are, then I think an invite should be sent to ask them to clarify how they came to those conclusions, if not, then perhaps they should be invited over to join us :)

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's also not clear to me that an ambush predator wouldn't make full use of eyesight for hunting.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Reaction score
I believe Steve O has suggested a more ambush type existence for these in the past, at least that's what he implied on facebook!

Kuka Lula

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
I believe in their findings... We have almost NO information on this species, but the estimates point to an ambush predator...

In the animal world there are still many features that haven't gone away over time, and their fins could be one of those features... This animal may have evolved from a much more agile and motile predator that fully used their eyesight and that lived in shalower waters not that long ago... It may have found in Antarctica the only place that they could live all of their lives and still hasn't fully adapted to life in the deep-sea...
But at those depths and at that temperature it's almost impossible that this animal could be and active predator and capable of high speed swims...

About the eyes... Mystery... More stuff to study =)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanfax

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards