• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Money

I went to a store called The Fish Store and more and asked the boss (who had 2 cuttlefish) about the price of a octo-tank setup. He referred me to a 75 gallon tank and said the price range for everything would be about 2 grand. I was thinking of getting a Bimac but will it really cost me 2 K at one whack?

Re: Money

Burstsovenergy24 said:
I went to a store called The Fish Store and more and asked the boss (who had 2 cuttlefish) about the price of a octo-tank setup. He referred me to a 75 gallon tank and said the price range for everything would be about 2 grand. I was thinking of getting a Bimac but will it really cost me 2 K at one whack?
2 k, geez, that guy shouldn't have customer's, by golly he's trying to make you go through bankruptcy, best advice I can give you is go and get quotes from other LFS's and look into ebay lol. :smile:

I think it would help if you told us what the set up came with. Im sure it wouldnt be around 2 grand, but if you let us know what he is trying to sell you we can help you out and let you know if your getting a fair deal.

It's not unusual to pay that if you get a fancy stand and top of the line tank, and buy absolutely everything you might need at once. However, the store should have had a range of products, some of them a lot less expensive. Shop around, and mention that you're looking for a good value.

Nancy

thats a good question lol :lol: . I didnt buy everyhting at once, i got them a couple things at a time. However, i believe that my entire tank setup, including my chiller and protein skimmer, was around 1200$. Again this is a very rough estimate, and i got a very nice stand and hood :biggrin2: . Dont get discouraged though, most of the things to start a tank are one time expenses, and once you get everything you need it is releively inexpensive maintaining the tank.

hope that helped a little :smile:

I got a 100 gallon tank with chiller and protein skimmer, very nice wood grain stand and setup equipment for $900, of course a conversion might come to be cheaper lol. :smile:

o.vulgaris said:
I got a 100 gallon tank with chiller and protein skimmer, very nice wood grain stand and setup equipment for $900, of course a conversion might come to be cheaper lol. :smile:

:shock:

What kind of 'chiller' was this? Can you send me details, brands, specs?? Twould be muchly appreciated!

There are a lot of lower priced chillers ( $300 plus) on the market now and many different sizes are available.
Are you interested in these, Steve - if so, I'll get you some
websites. I even have a brochure for one that sounds good.
But would they work in New Zealand?

Nancy

Nancy said:
There are a lot of lower priced chillers ( $300 plus) on the market now and many different sizes are available.
Are you interested in these, Steve - if so, I'll get you some
websites. I even have a brochure for one that sounds good.
But would they work in New Zealand?

Nancy

I never thought to check myself Nancy, just thinking these things were always prohibitively expensive. If you have some websites they'd be appreciated. Re working in NZ, I'm guessing so (that it is just a matter of an adaptor for the plugs). Ta muchly, Me

Steve if you are looking into chillers how cold do you want to keep the water temp? I am working with a freind of myne to make ones that should be able to keep the water in a 25 degree room down to around 8 degrees. Plus they should be fairly cheap ($200-$300 Cnd). Let me know if you want some more info.

THis is the chiller I have the brochure for - it's made here in Texas. They do get considerably more expensive as the size goes up (to 800 gallons) You can get them with heaters or without. The tiny chiller might work for some of our octo keepers.

Manufacturer, has descriptions
Fritzpet

One online supplier of chillers, including Fritzpet (scroll down and choose Chillers). Lists prices.

Poseidonsrealm

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back