Moma Briareus and her new babies......

Bristleworms are beneficial because they're good scavengers, they're normally redish with bristles. A larger octo wouldn't really mind the worms but for a smaller octo it could kill. If you had a larger octo leaving the worms in would be better as the worms will help clear up leftovers.

No sightings yet.All the people I gave them to tell me the same thing.After a couple of days they just disappear and only one person has seen one since,and that was just for a second as it crawled out of one rock to another.

That's exactly what happened with my briareus hatchlings. I woudn;t have thought it possible that they could hide so well. I expected to see one from time to time, so that's why I thought they were all dead. Imagine my surprise to find that a four month old briareus was living in my tank!

Nancy

Momma and babies were moved to their new residence,a 75 gallon in wall tank.I carefully placed each piece of rock in a five gallon bucket so i would not disturb or injure any babies that might be in there and placed them down in the tank.Now for the real challenge,(so I thought) getting momma.I got my big net and put it down in the water slowly,to try to minimize the inking.what happened next just amazed me.She reached out to check it out for a minute and then she just hopped right on ready for the ride.I had a bucket ready to put her down in but she was so willing to go i just carried her over to it and put her in.No need to acclimate as half of the water was from her old home and I made sure the water parameters matched perfect to minimize stress on her and the babies.after i was all done I needed about 5 gallons of water to get to the level i wanted it at and when I poured it in I guess it disturbed the little ones cause here they came,about 25 or 30 little angry octos.they were climbing all over the glass checking things out for about 5 minutes or so and then they went back to their hiding.I was amazed at how much they have grown.Size of a quarter now compared to the dime size they hatched at.I don't know if they are eating pods or the frozen brine shrimp soaked in selcon I put in after lights go out.That's all for now.........

Attachments

• conv_287668.jpg
    conv_287668.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 65
It wonderful that you can see the babies grow - sometimes they hide so much that you never see them. As Colin says, you're doing great!

And it was interesting that moving them went so easily. What a cooperative mother briareus!

Nancy

it sounds like you have the perfect setup for raising them!!! maybe this is why u are doing so well!

what age do they start fighting at?

nothing to do except exclaim i guess... "!!!!!!!"

hehe... but really... it sounds like you are doing great - any reports on the mother or the babies in the other tanks?

Every since i have moved them to their new home,4 or 5 babies are out at all times.Today while i was feeding my other tanks i thought I would try to give the baby octos some mysis.I got my pair of tweezers and presented it to the first one and he grabbed it right away and started eating it.Then I fed it to the rest that where out and threw a couple pieces down in the tank to see if any would come out of hiding.But no luck there.I got excited seeing them eat and started feeling like I really have a good chance at raising them.I don't have any light on the tank,but it receives some lighting from the flourescent room lights over head.later on in the evening i noticed that one was really taking interest in me as i sat and watched so I stuck my finger down in the water and moved it around and the little booger started chasing it around and finally caught on to it and held on for a bit and then took off swimming again so i started chasing it around with my finger and when i got close to him he let out some ink and took off for cover..I know I am just kinda jumping all over the place but I am trying to type this as i remember it.That's all for now.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back