Molly - A. aculeatus

So today as soon as the lights turned on molly was out playing on the front glass. she stopped just a inch or 2 above the top water line. so i figured, i should see if she wants to be friendly. at first she grabbed me and i freaked alittle (ive never touched an octopus) but she stayed there. she didnt try to touch me again (i think she was thinking "whatd I do?") but she did let me pet her!
I wanted her to know that I was happy that she let me touch her and that im her friend....so I fed her a crab

They don't feel like you expected do they? I am raising my first bimac and discovered the cold water species appear to feel different than the warm water animals. I have only had hand contact once so the jury is still out but the difference was quite distinct and I notice it without expecting it.

If the octo did not jet away your procedure is fine. If she comes back for more, you are doing it "right". Unfortunately, "right" is an individual octopus' choice :biggrin2:

Molly stayed put during the whole petting process. I wanted to "train" her that I was her friend and give her a treat! kinda like I do with my chihuahua, but I think molly is smarter:lol:

Molly is starting to corkscrew.... I contacted liveaquaria and they gave me an extra 7 days on my guarentee. if she dies before april 21st they will credit my account. im glad that they are so helpful, but sad because I dont want Molly to go....

got my shipment of fiddlers today from paul sachs. I am very impressed with this company, I order 20 fiddler and I got 28 ALL OF THEM WERE ALIVE! i will definatly be doing business with him in the future

um, so I had about 30 hermit crabs before molly got here and now I have about 10 (I knew it was gonna happen) Molly also ate my black turbo snail (knew it) but she seems to not care about my larger turbo snail. Nancys book says brittle stars are safe, but im not sure what kind. basically i dont plan on getting any other corals then what i have and i want something that can eat the leftover crabs that i cant always get to because they are stuck behind rocks and stuff. The only corals i keep are mushrooms, star poylps and zoas. also i dont want something that will eat my coralline algae because it looks super cool. what kinda clean up crew do you have, can anyone help me out?

Brittles or serpents are very good for this purpose. Avoid the green serpents but other than that, any are fine. You will find them in different colors (the harlequin serpents and red brittles are my favorites).

woa! the harlequin serpent star looks awesome, im gonna go to Saltwater city tomorrow and see it they have one

They live a long time (I have a couple in different tanks) but are a little strange. You will see them a lot and then not at all and about the time you think it died it will start showing up again (I see this with other serpents too but notice it more in the harlequins). They do keep their nice stripes throughout their lives. If you take time with any serpents daily, you can hand feed them and they will learn supper time. Oddly, we have noticed (as has Carol) that you definitely see more of the serpents/brittles when there is a octopus in residence. This may be somewhat cooincidental to having a regular feeding time when there is an octo in the tank and have nothing to do with the primary resident. It appears that Kara (sealifeinc.net) has both my favorites in stock right now so you can get a good look at a photo, a write up and can purchase on-line if you can't find one locally (I am Sealife's webmaster).

well saltwater city didnt have the harliquinn serpent star, but they said they would order one for me and it will be here on tuesday! also today i got to play with molly, she was grabbing my finger and pulling HARD. i made sure to stay away from her mouth (i dont know if she was playing or wanting to eat me)anyway i did this about 4 times then :grad: I should get the camera and post to TONMO! its still kinda weird touching an octopus and it tweaks me out a bit (its fun, but you can see me twitch in the video)
Sorry for the bad quality my camera intesifies light so it looks real bright coming through the window, but its not (stupid seattle rain)

Also its kinda funny and not planned, but as soon as molly touches me music plays from a game i was playing on my xbox in the background

Mollys been extra messy with the way she eats. She takes the crab bodies and dumps em off the edge of a rock, the problem is...i cant get them. I think there are 2 crab bodies all mutilated and rotting in my tank. What do u guys do when u cant get the crabs out?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back