Molly - A. aculeatus

octomatic

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
Praise the Lord he's here! MY FIRST OCTO!!! I ordered from live aquaria it he got here yesterday. I acclimated and left the lights off all night and this morning I finally got to see him when the lights turned on. hes about the size of a golf ball when hes all balled up. its a abdopus aculeatus and for the time being im calling him a "he" i told my wife she could name him if it was a female. if its a male i get to name him....no name as of yet. my tank had about 20 hermit crabs in it and as soon as he got in the tank he jetteed to the rock and ate about 3 of them.:biggrin2: this morning i put a shore crab in and hes eating it right now. he caught the crab and drug it behind some rocks and i cant get to it to get the remains of the crab. is this bad? i couldnt get any good photos yet because hes still shy and the ones i did take turned out crappy because i didnt want to use the flash!

i will post pics as soon as i can get some

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations! Welcome to octo keeping, glad you decided to start a journal here. Picture quality improves with practice, so don't apologize, just keep up the good work!!

octomatic

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
also this fish store by my house sells 10 ghost shrimp for $2.50. is that ok to feed to him too? (not as a staple, but as a variety snack)

iAlex

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Mine is $1.49 not including the employee discount. ;)

octomatic

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
is it normal that after they eat they just kinda hang out in its den? i fed him at like 2 and i havent seen him after that....

SabrinaR

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Imagine its Thanksgiving dinner and hes doing the traditional after dinner nap... its the same concept I think :biggrin2:. Live Aquaria has been changing things up lately. I ordered two from them and believe the first one I got was a dwarf (Mystique) and am hoping the second (Baby) is the same as yours.They were both REALLY small when I got them and look almost identical from what I have seen so its hard to tell based on looks. Arm to mantel ratio is the best indicator.

octomatic

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
Im not really sure whats "normal" size for these guys but he is a tiny one. I will take more pics tomorrow after i get back from the beach (need more octo food)

QueenB

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Little one and CONGRATS!

I find it hard as well to take nice photos of tanks. I'm still learning my camera. Those were good for a cell phone.

I'm also thinking on getting one from Live Aquaria. I'm nervous still with who I decide on finally but so far great reviews on them.

How was he/she packaged? How did the water look? Was it insulated? Heat pack? Do you know how long she was in transit? :talker: I'm so sorry for the Million questions, but getting closer to getting mine, and I need all the details I can get. :smile:

So excited for you!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandyslope

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean