Mississippian Brachiopod

Terri

Sepia elegans
Registered
My young friend Mason (8yo) brought me this fossil, found in a dry creek bed in north eastern Sumner Co. Tn. I'm really excited to learn that this is a Mississippian outcrop and only a 45 min. drive from here, now to find someone who will let me hunt their property..:hmm: anyway this is a fairly large brachiopod, bigger than any I've found around here. I've been doing a lot of searching and the closest I can get to an id would be Platystrophia but I'm just not sure. He's very curious and I told him I would try to get an id. for him, so do you think I'm anywhere close to the ballpark? :goofysca:

Attachments

• conv_305163.jpg
    conv_305163.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 88
  • conv_305164.jpg
    conv_305164.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 104
  • conv_305165.jpg
    conv_305165.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 123
Terri;188287 said:
I've been doing a lot of searching and the closest I can get to an id would be Platystrophia but I'm just not sure.

It wouldn't be Platystrophia sp as that is an early Paleozoic genera. Kentucky Paleontological Society has several old monographs on-line. Here is a link to Jillson's classic "Paleontology of Kentucky": Paleontology of Kentucky, by W.R. Jillson, 1931

There are other good resources at KPS' site( Kentucky Paleontological Society ), and too, at the KGS site: Kentucky Geological Survey, University of Kentucky

KGS will will unveil other resources soon, so keep checking back.

Thanks for the links Solius! Now if I can pin down the formation, possibly St. Louis, Warsaw or Ft. Payne...(?) I'll do more reading later. :smile:

Well, it looks like we're going to have to rename this thread "Ordovician Brachiopod." :oops: The fossil was found in a little town called Bethpage, which are Ordovician units. So it looks like either the Nashville, Richmond or Eden group. From here I really don't know how to pin it down to the correct group or formation. :confused: The USGS website still really confuses me, I have a lot of studying to do! MapServer Message :sink:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back