• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Missing Suckers

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Has anyone else had an octopus with a leg that is completely missing maybe two-three rows of suckers? Trapper has a place close to the mantle on one leg like this. Would it be where a leg was lost and then regrown? I believe regrowing a leg will align the suckers differently at the new growth but these are completely missing.

pipsquek

Wonderpus
Supporter
I've seen new growth o couple of times on an octo, and it is pretty obvious as to when a arm was regrown and when it is just a few suckers. I imagine that there would be scarring in most cases even after the arm has grown to proportion with the rest of it.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
There is another arm the I am sure was regrown. This arm does not look like it was super glued back on without quite aligning everything like the other arm and some of the pictures I have seen. It just has missing suckers, otherwise it looks smooth, aligned and nomal which is why I found it so different.

Members online

No members online now.