• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Blue Ring
Oct 19, 2008
i was thinking about putting in a mirror behind my tank to give the illusion of size and was wondering how this would affect an octopus. my first one died after many months so i dont know for sure what species ill be getting next, but i wanted to know it if would irritate it before i looked into it any further.

on a side note ive read some eels and octopuses can live in peace and was wondering how a snowflake eel would fare. if i had enough at feeding time would they still dispute food and territory?

Staff member
Sep 4, 2006
Gainesville, GA
Maya seemed to react (and attacked) what we think was her reflection in the tank. I was going to put a mirror out to see if that is what she was doing but forgot to try it tonight. My merc would not go to the side of the tank where I had one set up but as soon as I removed it he started using that side again as he traveled the tank.

I remembered a YouTube video with an octo and a snowflake that will graphically answer your question about mixing a snowflake and an octopus, however, we have had several members successfully keep a ribbon and an octo and I have considered the combination myself. In the two cases I remember, the ribbon was well established before the octo was introduced. I have not ruled out trying this combination but I have always kept my octos in a species only tank and am hesitant to try.

Members online

No members online now.