MiniCon in Atlanta

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
LMecher mentioned that her rose bubble tips had split so much that some were needing new homes. I love anemonies and have always wanted a rose but right now is not a time I can spend money on the tanks. As good luck would have it, she has a brother-in-law that lives about an hour from the house. They drove up to Chicago last week and came home with not one but TWO rose tips! Whoo HOO!

Excuse the water, I wiped down the glass (overdue) to take the photos. I will take a better picture once the anemones adjust. Also excuse the first photo clarity, I didn't think about bringing the camera so the cell had to do (LMecher's sister-in-law is on the right).

Attachments

• conv_304215.jpg
    conv_304215.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 149
  • conv_304216.jpg
    conv_304216.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 100
  • conv_304217.jpg
    conv_304217.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 136
  • conv_304218.jpg
    conv_304218.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 125
Neal did a good job with the focus :sagrin:.

I can't wait to see how the anemones do after a week or so, I hope they bubble but they are a great addition just as they are. I first saw the rose nems at our Atlanta Aquarium and went looking for one after that.

The anemone (we think some kind of antler anemone but it is different from others I have) in the back has gotten huge but I don't dare move it to a larger tank because it does so well with the lighting. It was initially place in this tank because it crawled into the mouth (or close enough to get snagged) of a flower anemone and was fighting being consumed. I took a quick shot of it with my secondary camera (which does not do well with aquarium lighting) and rescued it.

Attachments

• conv_296442.jpg
    conv_296442.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 119
When you have moved them in the past, about how long has it taken for them to display the bubble look? I hope i can get them to split so I can attempt one in the anemone tank, it would be a beautiful addition but I won't risk the lighting on these two and getting it back out would be impossible. The condy, flowers, curly ques and antler all do fine with the exception of the one flower that won't move away from the condy. I keep watching for it to move to a place that I can safely remove it to place it elsewhere but it is not cooperating.

I just cut my GBTA into fourths, it was getting huge! I traded one of the pieces for a RBTA and that's looking nice. It started displaying bubbles after about a day and has kept them, however my GBTA never really got the bubbles.

L8 2 RISE;156143 said:
I just cut my GBTA into fourths, it was getting huge! I traded one of the pieces for a RBTA and that's looking nice. It started displaying bubbles after about a day and has kept them, however my GBTA never really got the bubbles.

I slice my mini carpets but the btas would aweful messy besides they split regularly on their own.

D, When moving them in the past, from tank to tank, not really sure if they lost them. If they did it was just breifly. They would loose them from time to time for expelling. Another reason to keep my :fingerscrossed: for you. I am rasonably sure given time they will be bubblicious again, our nickname for these roses. :biggrin2:

I just went back to my PMs (showing Mark photos) I forgot to address the little blue spots. This is what they are.
Blue clavularia, aka blue clove polyps or snowflake polyps
blueclavularia40.jpg

They are delicate little polyps and keep their color under just about any kind of lighting. I have absolutely tons of it. A wonderful addition for an octopus tank. Can be invasive but can be scrubbed off with stiff toothbrush if it grows in undesirable places. I find peolpe love it or hate it. If you turn out to be a lover, I can bring you a large rock covered with the stuff on the next trip. :wink:
It will take time to acclimate to new tank than after a couple months it will go wild. I would consider removing it if you do not want it in your tank. It not only spreads out but I think it spawns because it will jump from one side of your tank to another, even grows on my sandbed.

LOL, maybe it will give the browns some competition and I like the color of the blue better so it is wecomed in that tank and may get added to the tube tank if it spreads (I can put in a small rock to start it if does - sounds like we are growing a garden :biggrin2:

The light has been fully on for about an hour now and I think I will see full bubbliciousness soon :biggrin2:

Attachments

• conv_296446.jpg
    conv_296446.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 122
:band: I knew they'd bubble up, looking good! :biggrin2:

You would be suprised at the amount of blue clavularia I have, I have sold tons of it too. I am putting a lot in the new 120 but will keep a rock on the side and bring or send it south sometime this summer, hopefully I will be bring it in July.

I've been too nervous to slice my mini carpets so just feed like crazy. I didn't find the BTA to be that messy when I cut it. Just take a piece of acrylic, rough it up with some sand paper on one side to keep the 'nem from sliding around, and cut from the mouth out with a scalpel. For some reason mine just likes to grow like hell and not split.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back