Mimic

Discussion in 'Octopodidae' started by Bagelgeek, Mar 16, 2009.

  1. Bagelgeek

    Bagelgeek Larval Mass Supporter

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    I was looking at the mimic octo and thought they were great. Do they have the strong venom like others have, and how dangerous is it?
     
  2. Brock Fluharty

    Brock Fluharty Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2005
    Messages:
    511
    Likes Received:
    0
    Not a lot is known about wild populations in the wild, so we discourage them being kept as pets.
     
  3. Bagelgeek

    Bagelgeek Larval Mass Supporter

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    just a question, but are they really poisonous, we know they subdue their prey with either jaw or toxin, but is this a more venomous specie>
     
  4. monty

    monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2004
    Messages:
    4,887
    Likes Received:
    11
    no one is completely certain if they have toxin that would impact humans. All (or at least most) octos have toxin that effects crustaceans and other invertebrates. There was a TV show that suggested that mimics aren't toxic, but wunderpus might be, but I wouldn't rely on that.
     

Share This Page