Mimic Octopus ...

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by Teacher Kim, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Teacher Kim

Teacher Kim GPO Registered

Just saw a Mimic Octopus for sale at Seaside Tropical Fish in Southern California. Info. said price was $350 and size was about 8 inches. (What ever that means!) It looked like it was still available as of this morning. There was a note saying it was a restricted species also. I have ordered from them in past and recieved good service, but never an octopus. Thought I'd post just in case it was helpful to someone.

2. Neogonodactylus

Neogonodactylus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

Mimics are not a "restricted" species. To my knowledge, there is no such a designation for any octopus. The dealer is just trying to jack up the price.

Roy

3. gpx1200

gpx1200 GPO Registered

i think the "restricted species" is probably just a term the petstore uses to designate that it's exempt from any gaurante that they might offer on other animals

DWhatley likes this.
  4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

It's a lot of money for an animal we don't know how to properly care for and is very likely to die before any warranty they might normally give. Until we can successfully raise small egg species, it is likely best to leave the animals in disappearing habitats alone. When there is enough knowledge on other small egg species to see success, then it might even be wise to put efforts forward towards keeping them. At the present time, even large egg species are a major challenge with little success.

5. Teacher Kim

Teacher Kim GPO Registered

Interesting to read comments! Am learning!! :)