• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Mimic Octopus ...

Teacher Kim

GPO
Registered
Just saw a Mimic Octopus for sale at Seaside Tropical Fish in Southern California. Info. said price was $350 and size was about 8 inches. (What ever that means!) It looked like it was still available as of this morning. There was a note saying it was a restricted species also. I have ordered from them in past and recieved good service, but never an octopus. Thought I'd post just in case it was helpful to someone.

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Mimics are not a "restricted" species. To my knowledge, there is no such a designation for any octopus. The dealer is just trying to jack up the price.

Roy

gpx1200

GPO
Registered
i think the "restricted species" is probably just a term the petstore uses to designate that it's exempt from any gaurante that they might offer on other animals

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
It's a lot of money for an animal we don't know how to properly care for and is very likely to die before any warranty they might normally give. Until we can successfully raise small egg species, it is likely best to leave the animals in disappearing habitats alone. When there is enough knowledge on other small egg species to see success, then it might even be wise to put efforts forward towards keeping them. At the present time, even large egg species are a major challenge with little success.

Members online

No members online now.