Mimic Octopus at local store

Kirk

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I would let everyone in the Tampa Bay area know that my local pet store, about 3 blocks from me, has just gotten in a Mimic Octopus. If you would like to see it you can go to Petmart (not Petsmart) in the Bay Pines Plaza. It is the coolest thing I have ever seen and I've been keeping saltwater creatures for over 30 years now. Would seriously consider it if the life span wasn't so short but $400 for something that might not make it for over a couple of weeks is kinda steep.

Anyway its a rare chance to see something very rarely seen in captivity.

Kirk

Octomush

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
WTF!?!? #$&#!

GAG! :yuck: That is the biggst load of bull @$#! I have ever heard! 400 $ For a octerpus. Holly friggin crap! :bugout: Just go catch ur own! Where do u think they got theirs! Sheesh! I jus caught my own today! Aquarists these day.... Pffff!

Kirk

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Nick, your reply makes you sound like a moron. You obviously don't have a clue as to what a Mimic Octopus is and you certainly didn't go out and catch one today. You don't just go out and catch a Mimic. They are so rare that only a couple are caught a year. They are hardly ever even seen let alone caught. They are so rare that they don't even have a scientific name assigned to them yet. Do a Google search on Mimic Octopus and learn Nick before you post stuff you know nothing about. I personally am amazed that it is only $400 considering the rarety of it.

Kirk

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Kirk

yes, it seems to be the zebra/mimic/wonderpus season again! A local wholesaler to me was offered 3 from Bali just this week and asked me about them. He is not going to ship them in...

I do wonder about their prices as these ones were offered at £20 - £30 trade...

I agree, what a waste of lives and money!

You could maybe even asume that they are easier to catch at this time of year as they are guarding eggs?! Perhaps they are being caught before the eggs have hatched? Either way, we shouldnt encourage their sale/capture.

thanks for posting Kirk
Colin

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it seems they are banking on the "different" thing to make the extra dollars...the wholesale price in california is 75.00...neat animals...one could argue that if no one keeps them, we'll never know more about them, though. (its a thin argument though, isn't it) I wonder if the guys at octopets will get any?
greg

Octomush

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Kirk is a moron Kirk is a moron! Te he he he....

1: I said that I caught my own octo as a generlization (I caught a day octo)
2: So they can be caught
3: 400 #$&@! DOLLARS?!?!?!?

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
Why are you so suprised? I regularily see animals for sale in the 10,000- 30,000 dollar range...and some of them are fish.
Dragon Arowana? 28,000.00 USD.

Octomush

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
AAHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shock: HOOOOOOLLLLLLLLYYYYYYY #$&!!*#*%$ #!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO!!!!!!!!?!?!????!!?!? :bonk: :bugout: :lol: :jester: :roflmao:

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
Well, have you ever seen a live one? It might change your mind...a lot of effort goes into procuring some of these animals ( I am reminded of the trips taken to hunt for cockatoo cichlids...malaria, unfriendly tribesmen, local militia, etc)...hence the cost factor.
Or breeding: it takes almost 7 years to raise a dragon arowana, then trying to find the right mate (picky fish, they are), then managing to breed them, and raise the juveniles...lots of cash laid out in just speculation...plus all of the permits, since they are endangered.
greg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bfishb

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak