miliions of q's

Discussion in 'Physiology and Biology' started by studentrocky, Jan 22, 2005.

1. studentrocky

studentrocky Pygmy Octopus Registered

yo had 2 rite bout mollusc movement in my exam 2day an a few q's sprang 2 mind ,how fast do nautili move compared to squid,whats the fastest squid and how fast ,how do nautili move,what volume of water can pass through an architheuthis siphon, does anyone no how fast they they can move ahhh *breath* im done

2. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

Did you text that post from your phone during the exam? Texting is destroying a language, and confusing the bejeezus (thanks Erich) out of young and old. Wrinkles (relatively speaking) have to decipher it, the very young ones who read this sort of thing don't know any better and will perpetuate it. English (still taught in schools today, like Math, Chemistry, Biology) does matter!

Sorry to be the big meany here, but I hereby ban this evolving alphanumeric soup-like language, 'Text', from the Physiology & Biology, and Marine Conservation Forums. If you want a question answered you have to put the same time and effort into constructing that question, paying attention to spelling, grammar, punctuation and appropriate capitalisation, as we will expend answering it.

I would sooner people post in good (I'm not saying 'perfect') French, German or Hindi, and not understand what the question was, than post in Text.

Why don't you rewrite your post below, and we will see where we go.
    Thanks
    Steve

3. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Hands clapping here...drives me crazy, and I just refuse to answer them...

greg

4. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! Way to go Steve! I admit I do Text but I tend to use real words, just can't get my head round those abbreviations.

J

5. Tigerkatze_82

Tigerkatze_82 O. vulgaris Registered

Yes, I absolutely agree :roll: I'd have to spend more thoughts on deciphering this question than writing an answer... and then it would be a waste of my time...

TK

6. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

Better not waste my time here.

7. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

You write well Chrono - you have no fear.

8. chrono_war01

Thanks

Thanks, now anyone seen that underwater shooting game I was talking about? See thread.

9. talarohk

talarohk Pygmy Octopus Registered

I'll make a translation stab, since the author doesn't seem to care to and I'm curious too:

yo had 2 rite bout mollusc movement in my exam 2day an a few q's sprang 2 mind ,how fast do nautili move compared to squid,whats the fastest squid and how fast ,how do nautili move,what volume of water can pass through an architheuthis siphon, does anyone no how fast they they can move ahhh *breath* im done

TRANSLATES TO:

Good evening, O noble lovers of the ceph. As I took examinations during school today, several questions occurred to me which I believe are best answered by your illustrious selves. Thus, I place them before you with hopes of enlightenment:
    1. How fast can nautili (if that is indeed the plural of nautilus) move, both in absolute terms and compared with squid?
    2. What is the fastest squid, and how fast can it move?
    3. How, exactly, *does* a nautilus move (see #1)?
    4. What volume of water can pass through an Architeuthis siphon? I suppose what I really mean is volume in a given amount of time, such as gallons per second.
    5. Does anyone know how fast Architeuthis can move?

Ah, my exhaustion has quite overcome me. I shall retire for a mint julep and some refreshing Neil Diamond, at which time I shall return, eager to read your answers.

10. fluffysquid

fluffysquid Vampyroteuthis Registered

11. TPOTH

TPOTH Vampyroteuthis Registered

I'm voting for Talarhok to become our official Txt/English translator!

TPOTH

12. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Bravo! I'm not noted as one of the better scribes here - an awful lot from my school years is fading with my approaching senility - but I'm sick to the gills with text-messaging abbreviations! Thanks for that excellent translation!

:vampyro:

13. chrono_war01

I'm just plain sick what all that you know..that
    'yo-you
    w8-wait
    WTF-don't ask :wink:
    LOL - are you really laughing out loud? I think not.
    HAHAHAHAHAAHAH - Did you really count how much time you pronouce the word HA?
    Lazi-lazy

I'm sick of all that...sorry about this piontless post.

14. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Yo Steve, bro in da mantle hood. I fink its gr8 that u like dissin da text-talk. I fink that them people like dem townies & chavs who dunno prpr Eng lingo r morks or merchant bankers, yo know what I mean? As Gaz & Trish wer saying to me, da state of da educashun of kids is minging, dey dunno prpr English if it bit dem on the krunk.

Dats de word on the street, my main man.

Yours Lord Queequeg of Pequod.

http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/introduction.html

15. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

:shock: Wow....Sounds like something from another world.....

16. chrono_war01

Goobledeegook! SAl go sho back a! Yippe kie Yay!

I had no idea what I said but that sounds the samne to me as the post abve some poeple might understand it but I don't

17. Infusoria

Infusoria Vampyroteuthis Registered

Word

18. cthulhu77

Props to the deg from this skizzle ! Phil, U B the DOG !!!

19. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

All I can say here is "Yo!". I actually know some LA gangsta rappers, and you'll be happy to know, one of them is now teaching English Literature to 8th-Graders and is thought-of as a stern disciplinarian.
    If only his students knew about his former career in "Kill Whitey", whose material they would have loved, they'd think differently. For the future of the intelligensia of America, I'm glad they don't. This stuff was vile and foul, and written when they were high school students, but it was so brilliantly despicable, people still want to hear them perform at private parties many years later.

Brilliant AND disgusting. And they've moved-on. Now, they're obsessed with tiki-bars and whether their students graduate. Thank God somebody in LA still cares about their students, because in less than three decades, we've gone from being the nation's best to being in the bottom three.

Incidentally, I still despise text-messagin language. Speak your native language correctly, for Pete's sake!

20. cthulhu77

Hear, hear ! Yeah, the teacher's of today have a lot to overcome...neat that here and there, some good ones still shine out.

I was happy with Herr Doktor's reply, usually those ridiculous messages are just ignored...can't abide them, I !!!