Mesonychoteuthis vs. elephant seal

Originally posted by Sorceress
I'm interested in knowing what cuttlegirl knows "from personal experience" about the strength of the jaws of elephant seals? When and where did you learn about this "up close and personal", and what light can you bring to bear on this question because of your experience?

I worked and volunteered at a marine mammal rehabilitation center for 14 years... We rescued and treated California Sea Lions, Pacific Harbor Seals and Northern Elephant Seals. We treated adult and young sea lions and harbor seals, but we mostly dealt with pups and yearling elephant seals. Let's just say that none of the animals liked to be rescued, given shots, force-fed fish or to have their wounds scrubbed :goofysca:.

I was bitten by one time or another by every species that we cared for, but an elephant seal chomping down on your calf or steel-toed boot left BIG bruises...

I was bitten by one time or another by every species that we cared for, but an elephant seal chomping down on your calf or steel-toed boot left BIG bruises...[/QUOTE]

YOWCH!!

I have been bitten by an adult female sea lion, luckily (or not...) it was on my thigh, which is more padded than my foot... left nice bruise marks though. Typically you wear long pants and rain slickers any time you are in the pen with the animals, the more protection the better... Once when I was 7 months pregnant, I had to scale the pen fence to escape an attacking sea lion. I escaped unscathed :biggrin2: .

Well,

Anything to help a poor, sick seal... the rescues were the most fun, it was kind of the thrill of outwitting the wild animal, while the beach-goers yell helpful advice (NOT). Once after finally rescuing a sea lion pup off of a jetty, a beach-goer asked why it took so long (I made three attempts and the animal kept swimming off the jetty, swimming around to the other side and climbing up the rocks. Finally I lunged with my hoop net and caught the little guy as he was diving into the water.), I gritted my teeth and walked away.

But yeah, I guess I do like living dangerously if it is for a purpose...

cuttlegirl said:
Well,

Anything to help a poor, sick seal... the rescues were the most fun, it was kind of the thrill of outwitting the wild animal, while the beach-goers yell helpful advice (NOT). Once after finally rescuing a sea lion pup off of a jetty, a beach-goer asked why it took so long (I made three attempts and the animal kept swimming off the jetty, swimming around to the other side and climbing up the rocks. Finally I lunged with my hoop net and caught the little guy as he was diving into the water.), I gritted my teeth and walked away.

But yeah, I guess I do like living dangerously if it is for a purpose...

He/She is a MORON/JACK@$$!

Well, the main reason I was offended was I said "He/She". You are CLEARLY female due to the name "cuttlegirl", emphasis on GIRL. I suppose you can't be blamed though, since I DID quote your ENTIRE message...

Anywho, just how big IS a seal "pup"? Small- for for a seal, anyway- I would guess, but how small is "small", in this case?

P.S., warning to anyone reading this: as I have just recently been set free from school, and am unsure of how I feel about it (probably shock/"blown happy-fuse" from an overload of joy), so I may tend to overreact...:biggrin2:

Cephkid said:
P.S., warning to anyone reading this: as I have just recently been set free from school, and am unsure of how I feel about it (probably shock/"blown happy-fuse" from an overload of joy), so I may tend to overreact...:biggrin2:

Okay, I'll admit it: I'm all toungue-in-cheek on this one.:wink:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back