Mesonychoteuthis Photo Contributions

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Kat Bolstad (a.k.a. Tintenfisch) has generously contributed some of the finest photos from the Mesonychoteuthis photo sessions back in April 2003.

Attached are those photos, but they may not be reprinted or reused without permission. Any permission for reuse must be secured with Kat. High-resolution versions of these images are available upon request. Please contact me at email@tonmo.com with any questions.

Steve inspecting hooks

Steve hosing down the specimen

Steve over the specimen table

Mesonychoteuthis beak

Steve about to engage in a passionate kiss with Mesonychoteuthis :mrgreen:

Thank you Kat and Steve!!

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Terrific photos. Steve does look like he's thinking " Ah my lovely, come, be mine". Cute! :smile:

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
By the way, how is mesonychoteuthis pronounced? I think there was a thread about that not too long ago, but I couln't find it. Is the accent on the "on"?

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
In the latest Octopodcast (March), you can hear Kat say it correctly (don't go by my version, though!) The discussion is in that Octopodcast thread, in fact...

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
We usually say 'Me-ZONN-ee-ko-TOOTH-iss.' But listening to various people speak at the ceph conference in Tasmania (CIAC) convinced me that ceph biologists are the last people you should ask for a consensus on pronunciation! :wink:

Colin

Colossal Squid
Supporter
me too, that' how I'd say it Kat

also, as an example, while i remember, from the last octopodcast, if the word ends in an 'i' it is usually pronouned 'eye'

e.g. tintenfischi' would be tin-tin-fish-eye

but i guess that wouldnt happen as kat is a girl it would be 'Me-ZONN-ee-ko-TOOTH-iss tin-tin-FISH-er- ae'

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Yeah, normally it would be 'tintenfischae' if named for a woman, but then it gets complicated because 'der Tintenfisch' is a masculine noun, so you could make a case for a masculine ending, except that 'Mesonychoteuthis' has a feminine ending, and the species name is supposed to agree with the genus name... confused? Try the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature for some light reading! :bonk:

Phil

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Registered
Yes, thank you for posting this excellent images Kat. No matter how many times one sees images of Messie and it's anatomical details, one never ceases to be amazed at quite how stunning and fascinating the animal is.

Here is the Animal Face-Off model underwater to compliment Kat's images above.

Attachments

Archi

Cuttlefish
Registered
this looks to be a bit or all of the "Colossal Squid vs Sperm Whale" Animal face-off series by Discovery.

The second part of the video is not in english (apparently it was only ever shown in Thailand according to www.tv.com )although don't read too far into this, it gives away the winner!

(Even though whoever submitted the video called it a giant squid, im pretty sure it's Meso)

Steve O'Shea

Colossal Squid
Supporter
That's a short segment from it for sure, and yes, Mesonychoteuthis. I think you'll find an edited version of that AFO episode being produced shortly, but it will not be a part of the AFO series itself. (Something new, better.) It never has aired in the US.

Members online

No members online now.