Mesonycho. details?

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Hello Steve & Kat,

I know your investigation of the "Colossal" squid is only just beginning, but I wonder if you might be able to answer a few anatomical questions? They are:

1. Is the buccal mass "fixed," or can it be distended and traversed?
2. Has the position of the statocyst been determined yet?
3. Are the lateral striations on the mantle expansion joints?

Congratulations on this wonderful find.

Clem
:notworth:

Re: Mesonycho. details?

Clem said:
1. Is the buccal mass "fixed," or can it be distended and traversed?
2. Has the position of the statocyst been determined yet?
3. Are the lateral striations on the mantle expansion joints?

Clem, we've not overlooked your questions. I just need you to recast them a tad so that there's no misunderstanding when we respond.

We have yet to determine the position of the statocysts, or shape/orientation of the statoliths within them, but the animal has been fixed in a 5% super-buffered formalin solution (with no deterioration in the hooks and sucker rings apparent, yet), so we intend to examine this in ~ a month's time, and hope that we've had no statolith deterioration in the meantime (it is a gamble, but we were reluctant to do anything like this during the press frenzy).

Your third question is rather interesting; by expansion joints do you mean the ridges allow for mantle expansion when the animal 'fills up' with water, rendering the animal effectively smooth-bodied (that the ridges are apparent only when the animal is in the deflated mode)?

The first question has me scratching my head somewhat; the buccal bulb (beaks and associated musculature), often referred to as the buccal mass (which is really just the palatine palps, odontophores and radula), is fixed within the base of the arms. I doubt that it is projectile (as in protractable/retractable), but I'm not sure if I've understood your question fully. It will certainly be capable of some movement.
Kindest
Steve

Steve,

"Your third question is rather interesting; by expansion joints do you mean the ridges allow for mantle expansion when the animal 'fills up' with water, rendering the animal effectively smooth-bodied (that the ridges are apparent only when the animal is in the deflated mode)?"

That is indeed the "nub of my gist" (as Cleese would say).

"I doubt that it is projectile (as in protractable/retractable), but I'm not sure if I've understood your question fully. It will certainly be capable of some movement."

Next time I'll know to differentiate the buccal bulb from the whole. Pity the poor amateur. I'm wondering if the bulb is capable of limited, controlled movement, so as to allow the most efficient application of the beak's cutting edge to prey-items, or would Mesonycho. rely entirely on the arms to move the prey into the best position for feeding?

Yours truly,
Clem[/quote]

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back