• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

merc for my 15

I am seriously considering a merc for my 15. I have some moving around to do first. I attached a photo. Need to remove all the anemones, palays and clown. I will be adding some more rock from another tank. I have a couple rocks in my 40 that are covered w/blue clavularia that I just may add. I think it will look pretty nice. Just have to rethink my cover, thinking something similar to the cover on Ollie's tank. I can only get 1 in a 15 correct?
Now I just need to get the show on the road here, once the tank is ready I need to find someone with mercs. I have been seeing many avaliable, today I searched and could find none.

CIMG7139.jpg

Let me know when you are ready if you can't find any and I will ask Kara, Ken's daughter (who is taking over the management of sealife.net so he can work full time with with CoralRestoration.org). I can 't make promises but I know she LIKES them more than her dad so I am hoping to get her interested in keeping one and joining the ceph clan.

You can keep a pair in a 15 with good water management. I am half heartedly looking for a suitor for Sleazy (all alone in a 15 hex). I would suggest finding a small cluster of the large purple barnacles (often found in pet stores or on eBay) and locate them a couple of inches off the bottom. Also, the hex requires but I think it a good idea even for a rectangular tank, think about placing the LR roughly in the center of the tank so that you have 3 viewing sides and three sides for den location. MIA (Missing In Aquarium) often took the one back side unfortunately but the others could always be found even in the 45 and they still had their dark shelter with the rock piled this way. If you do acquire a barnacle cluster, locate it so you can see inside but don't tip it so the light is shining directly into the shell.

I wondered how long it would take you :gigas:

dwhatley;150253 said:
Let me know when you are ready if you can't find any and I will ask Kara, Ken's daughter (who is taking over the management of sealife.net so he can work full time with with CoralRestoration.org). I can 't make promises but I know she LIKES them more than her dad so I am hoping to get her interested in keeping one and joining the ceph clan.

I wondered how long it would take you :gigas:

:mrgreen:
Thanks for the offer, we'll see what is avaliable when I am ready. Off to LFS to look for barnacles.

Kara wrote and said they don't have anything still but someone mentioned that Tom has several. The interesting thing now about Tom's stock is wondering if they are joubini or mercatoris. We have seen no joubini for several years and I helped convinceTom to change the description but it appears that he has had at least two joubini in the last year (one sold as a briareus and now possibly one as a merc):hmm: Tom and Ken/Kara use many of the same local sources but so far everything from Ken over the last 4 years has been mercatoris. I wonder if the cold water has the crabbers fishing out deeper (the inshore reefs are a disaster).

Two days ago I got my first stone crabs since the cold. I was pulled over by Fish and game, just checking the catch, and they said all the fisheries down here have been dramatically effected. we usually only do it in shallow waters 3-15 ft. I crab with a group of four other boat and none of us went any deeper we all stayed in or usual spots hoping the crabs just borrowed in and did not actually move locations.

It's s shame what the cold weather has been doing to Florida. My parents live there and my mom keeps sending me newspaper articles concerings the fishing/ reefs/ ocean wildlife knowing I am interested in these life forms. I am wondering how this is going to effect the hobbiest not to mention fisheries. That was a stupid thing to say, obvously it will raise prices and create shortages. I hope we don't loose suppliers, there is too few sources for us as it is. Too bad I didn't grab some barnacles on one of my many visits to Tarpon Springs, they've got any kind of sponge/ shell you could possibly dream of there.

I started to get things going on my tank, sort of. I am switching rockwork from 15 with rock structure in my 14. I spent hours removing these ugly palays that are hard to kill, they keep growing back if I miss just one, in a month I have 50. I also removed several mini carpet anemones, those are all going in the 14. It's begun but still has a ways to go. I went to 2 LFS, no barnacles. I bid on a cluster on ebay, 5 days to go on the auction...ugh, I am not good at waiting! Mentally got the cover in the works.

I found barancles locally. I think the tank looking pretty good. I will post a photo later, cloudy now. Found red plexi to cover the lens of my light. We're on the road. My husband is pushing me to order the mercs from Tom. I might as well before he changes his mind. LOL

My husband is pushing me to order the mercs from Tom
:lol:
Far better than the spouse who frowns at the spent hobby money or worrys about the odd critter getting out of the tank

Aren't you back where you started (sort of ) ?:wink:

Aren't you back where you started (sort of ) ?:wink:[/QUOTE]

Funny how I have come full circle..well sort of :roll:

No photos tonight, just returned from daughter's dance class, never got to finish cleaning tank. Tomorrow you can look at it and grade my aquascaping :heee:

Love my barnacles but they take up more room than I anticipated.

Going to Toms now to order my mercs, lets hope he still has a couple.:smile:

I have 2 light fixtures on this tank, one will remain on in the daytime, I will do as I did on Ollie's tank, pushed up scedule os they go off at 6:00pm. The smaller of the two, I am removing the lens cover and replacing it with a dark red plexi I just found at the science store, will leave this one on 24/7. The overflo is a pistol to figure out, want something removable to clean. These guys are so tiny which complicates things,I am working on something w/husband but as usual we have different ideas. I will remember to be nice and not insult his work or he tends to get stubborn and just walk away. Men are so sensative LOL.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back