[Octopus]: Meet Speck-O. Briareus

Susan Grosskopf

GPO
Supporter
Reaction score
Speck arrived this past weekend. I was very lucky and Bill in Marathon, Florida had another animal so I was able to get another Octo right away. DWhatley, I posted the video on Facebook if you can once again bring it over. Thank you. As you will see in the video he had a spot on his mantle and I remember you all talking about the species found in the Gulf of Mexico. He took shrimp every night but I can't find him since Monday which always makes me anxious. There are a lot of crabs in there since Bubba but there are also a lot of crooks and crannies.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Speck is not O. hummelincki (wrong colors, arms too long) and I am 90% sure he/she is a juvenile O. briareus (coloration, arm:mantle ratio, green around the eyes). I am not sure where you are seeing the "spots" but if they are the dark circles at the back of the mantle, those are the branchial hearts (2 hearts that pump the oxygenated blood from the gills through the body). The hearts are more obvious in the translucent white of O. briareus young but can often be seen in other octopuses.

Susan Grosskopf

GPO
Supporter
Reaction score
Well, unfortunately I have not seen Speck since that last posting and I am afraid he is dead. I have looked every morning and evening for him in every hole and under every rock but no Speck.

Susan Grosskopf

GPO
Supporter
Reaction score
There are plenty of small crabs in the tank. I have not put any shrimp in there since I have not seen him because all the crabs gather around but I will start again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elleyyyy

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards