Meet OCTOROK!

I am told that 'Joe's Juice' is really effective in killing them -- a guy at my work happens to have a bottle of the stuff, he is going to bring it in soon. I am really thinking that the anenome is not doing any harm though (..yet)

Robert & OCTOROK :cyclops:

I noticed that my bimac would jerk her arm away when she accidently touched a rock anemone, so I got rid of the few I had. I used Colin's method of a syringe and boiling water, which was quite effective.

However, I discovered I now have one in my overflow (none in the tank) and I'll never be able to poke it with a syringe. Any ideas?

Joe's Juice is being heavily promoted here, too. But I doubt if it's better than boiling water.

Nancy

I recently put a collar butterfly into one of my dads taks and it seems to be munching the aiptasia quite well :smile: but i hear that copperbands are even better still...

Maybe you could Nancy, in a way....

Might be possible to ask a LFS if he'll take one back after a few weeks?

RIP OCTOROK :frown:

Last night I received fiddler crabs for him to eat and I put one in the tank.. I don't see it, but I assume that octorok did not hunt and eat it. Instead I think he starved to death maybe :frown: I had eliminated the aiptasia and done some water changes... the next step was going to be adding the heater, since the temperature was a fairly gradual change and he isn't a tropical species, I figured that his lowered activity level might be less pleasing for me to watch but ok for him. Its always confusing to 'debug' a fish death

My theory is going to stand that OCTOROK never developed proper hunting instincts and after killing that live damsel he wanted to change what he ate, but didn't have the hunting ability to do so.

While my upcoming idea may be a little costly, I think it will be worthwhile; and I think the thought of breaking down a tank I have spent around $500 on seems really unappealing at this point......

My plan is to start filling my tank up with a reasonable amount of live food and to introduce an octopus and allow him to hunt off these foods and nothing else for his lifespan. This way he will surely get the nutrition he needs, if I select the right foods, and they will be much more 'natural'.

So far I am planning on putting these 10 fiddlers in, and probably getting a bunch of the shrimp off the site nancy suggested (I'd try shrimpstuff.com but I have no place for 200 shrimp, and don't find it to be a big price break from the alternative provided by nancy)

I'm also hoping to add a bit more of a clean up crew such as some hard shelled snails.. I have a large electric blue (??) hermit crab I am going to keep.. my 4 stripe damsel is going to go to an LFS... my chocolate chip starfish will stay.. I have a rock full of mushrooms which I am going to carefully scour for aiptasia, and I plan to add another rock or two like this.

Possibly I am also going to add a heater set to 70 degrees so that the temperature never fluctuates far. I think it was a mistake to let it drop seasonally.

Any suggestions for this new tank are greatly appreciated, I'd like it to stay in this thread so that I can have a complete 'case history' on OCTOROK along with some 'lessons learned'. I am happy that I provided a good home for him for a long while, and although he has died I think that the information learned from him can let him LIVE ON :cyclops:

Robert (this time, without OCTOROK :frown:)

RIP Octorok :angelpus: So sorry to hear of your loss, Robert.

Yes, it's hard to determine the cause of a death like that. I doubt if the water temperature has too much to do with it, since bimacs live near the shore and are used to temperature fluctuations.

The real question is why Octorok wouldn't eat - the little bimacs from Octopets are supposed to be given some non-live food before they leave home. Octorok didn't seem interested in any food. Maybe he was sick in some way.

A few octos won't ever accept non-live food, but the vast majority will. I would assume that your next octo will accept non-live food.
It's good to have plenty of amphipods in the tank for the arrival of your next octo and maybe some small hermit crabs - it will be a while before it can move up to something larger.

All the best,

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back