• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Meet Elmer!

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
2 Weeks ago, Jess and I went out to PA to our favorite shop hoping to come home with another octo. Unfortunately, they did not have one so we debated over an Anglerfish and a Batfish. As we were deciding on the Angler this guy came tearing out of his hiding place! So for the moment anyway, he is reciding in my 44 Gal. He's about 8 inches long. Coloring is magnificent. Has quite a personality! He wouldnt' hold still so his pic is a tad blurry. Unfortunately, he looks like he was wild caught, and you can see he had tangled with something at some point.

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Isn't he great? Reminds me of a dolphin swimming. He's a Bird Wrasse. Need to do some research to figure out where he's from. My sistor thinks Florida, but I think his coloring is a little different as he has a lighter color by his fins.

Cephkid

Sepia elegans
Supporter
You are CORRECT sir! ..uh, miss. ..er..Nice job! That would be Gomphosus varius, the RED SEA bird wrasse. By the picture, I can say it is an adult male of the species. However, he is not fully, grown, as it gets 11" long, and will require a 100gallon tank. It is a jumper, so keep the tank closed. More later, when I'm not skiving off homework.

Members online