Meet Bill!

Illithid

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
I just got a new digital camera...so bare with me while I figure it all out.

My 30 gallon cuttle tank.

This is a story of "Bill" my S.Bandensis cuttlefish. I had bought 2, Bill and Bob (named by my kids), but Bill ate Bob shortly after they hatched due to a shortage of pods.

At that point I decided that I was having lousy luck with cuttles and that maybe I wasn't up to the task. So I let Bill go out of his breeder net and into the big 30 gallon. He hid in the live rock and I bought tons of pods on a bi-weekly basis for the spotted mandarin and gave up on ever finding his corpse.

Months went by and I was staring at the tank one morning when the lights just went on and spotted him. I didn't recognize him - he was so big! He is about 1 inch mantle length, not including tentacles.

Bill is doing well. He hides most of the time and scoots around in all the caves and tunnels I had made in the live rock column.

I'm sure you will see more of him now with the new camera.

Attachments

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
What a happy ending to your story! And a big welcome to Bill!

Looking forward to more pics, now that you have the new camera.

Nancy

Illithid

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
I got them at Aquatropics in Gainesville, FL. I got them the same time Righty had his WC eggs. Probably from the same importer.
Bill is eating ghost shrimp now, so I have to keep his tank heavily stocked.

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Unbelievable! But Bill's there, so it must be true. That's just great.:welcome: to Bill.

Illithid

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Paradox said:
Wow!! I cant believe you never saw him for months in such a small tank!!

Congratulations!
I barely see him now. I built the live rock to have crevices everywhere for hiding - and it really works. I had to get a new camera just to focus on him. Those photos were taken at night when he was about 2" away from the glass. If he goes any farther away I can't see him. I uploaded some additional photos that are waiting for Tony's approval of him hiding.
Below is a photo showing the hole where I can just see him. Notice the blue Ricordia that is in the lower left of the Bill photos.

Attachments

Illithid

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Better Bill shots!

These are from around the back of the aquarium, I can't even get my head back there.

This is why I can't find Bill- He matches the live rock during the day. I can only get these shots at night when he is darker and not matching exactly.

Attachments

Illithid

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Zoomed in photo of Bill. Sorry everyone, but GOD this camera is fun. Never been able to take shots of my aquarium before.

Attachments

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
That's a really great shot! You can see hiim so well - fine looking little cuttle!

What kind of camera did you get? It's a good one!

Nancy

Illithid

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Nancy said:
That's a really great shot! You can see hiim so well - fine looking little cuttle!

What kind of camera did you get? It's a good one!

Nancy
Thanks Nancy!

It's a Nikon S6 - just a little compact, but it has great macro features!

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
You can play with your new camera all you want, as far as I'm concerned. After all, this isn't like looking at a gazillion pictures of someone's grandkids,:indiffer:, we're talking about cephs, here, so keep those pictures coming!

Illithid

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
I love the blue shimmer of the translucent skin on the edges where the chromatophores aren't seen. Looks like a force field :biggrin2:

Someone had mentioned the cool cuttle eyes so I wanted to see what Bill's were like. (I gotta work on the focus, but not bad for hand held.)

Attachments

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Supporter
Excellent photo! Chubbs spent most of yesterday sitting in the corner of the tank. I likewise spent most of the day sitting on a bucket with a hand lens looking at his eye!

Dan

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branane

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan