Meet Biddle

Biddle Pics

Biddle is still a mystery to me of what species. His color changes and texture extremes remind me of G2. Curled up he is the size of a tennis ball, his mantle almost 3" long. I think in the one pic I can see an eyespot surrounded by a broken chain. He's started the collecting process and has pulled everything he can get a hold of to the back of the tank where he lives. I noticed him stalking the 75 lb mutt yesterday but could not get a pic. He inks quite a bit and startles easily. Check out the pronounced spikes in the one pic.

Carol,
Biddle is beautiful! Is she/he day active or both? I can't help thinking about the woman who came up to the Vulgaris tank I was oggling at Mote and commented,"Not much to look at are they". I replied that I thought they were beautiful. She shrugged and said, "That's why there is chocolate and vanilla". Bet she likes vanilla!

July 11th will be 4 months. Biddle came from That Pet Place in Pa. I had no idea what I was buying as if you look back to his "baby" pics he was this little black blob on arrival. And he is Day active, has very thick legs and turns from white with a brown head to polka dot to black with a stripe like a skunk, which I have figured out is his hunting coloration. Plus if he's doing the "conehead" I know I need to move slowly as this means he's close to inking. His ink is very thin and just puts a light fog to the tank. I remember others from the past that would ink and totally black out the tank, but we're talking about 20 years ago when I was the cause of the total inking as I didn't know the importance of very slow acclimating. We just got back from collecting larger crabs for him. Will try to get some more pics tomorrow. He reminds me of G2 very much, with his intense colorations and texture changes. And yes.....I think they are one of the most beautiful creatures on this earth and can't believe the "yuck" :roll:reactions I get when I post one of their pics as my desktop at work!!!

Carol,
I have a picture of Trapper as my computer background and my boss has tried to find some kind of artistic redeaming factor (he likes close ups of roses for his screen saver) but the frown gives his true lack of appreciation away.

Many "Looks" of Biddle

Biddle continues to grow larger and larger. I am still not sure what species he is so if anyone has any ideas. This morning I caught what I have always called the "conehead" but in looking at him swimming away, he looks like he's copying a squid. All these different looks were within a span of 5 minutes!

Oops, I misread your post. I thought it said "the morning I caught it" but it said "This morning I caught it". Sorry about that. Do you know where it's from?

Biddle has grown a lot, but still isn't too large, judging from the barnacles in the pic. He's a handsome and interesting-looking octopus.

Tywtly, you (and others) can find information on our TONMO.com octopuses by looking at the List of Our Octopuses at the top of this forum. Carol bought Biddle in mid-March. If you look back at the photos, you'll see he was quite small when he arrived.

Nancy

So August will be 5 months!:smile: He's awesome. Loves to interact with everyone. Tonight he was plastered to his favorite spot in the back of the tank. I had 5 visitors who were amazed at his color changes. He went from white with brown to his total reddish black look. And here's a good size reference. I measured the Eheim intake and it's 4 inches from the bottom of the strainer to the top of the lettering.

Biddle has always interacted with me but a few weeks ago I found out my oldest son has been playing hide and seek with him when he comes home late at night from school. You still need to move slowly so he doesn't get startled as he is still skittish and quick to go hide in this huge den he's built at the back of the tank. He has pulled everything he can get a hold of so I'm hoping this doesn't mean impending motherhood. And Biddle is not day or night active but both. If he hears someone walk by, he's out to see what's going on.

And no, Biddle could not see Spikes tank. I think he's just gotten very secure in his surroundings and it's been since I found out my oldest son has been interacting with him. Now he's the one with the "shaved" head that Inklet had a fascination with....

So what is this hide and seek game that your son plays with Biddle? (I'm trying to catalog octopus games, such as "pull the stick" and "capture the magnet and don't give it back".)

It's a lot of fun when they're interactive!

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back