McLovin/ Evelyn

Ok im starting to get worried about my new octo. Now it moves in a way that almost seems as if it had hiccups. About every three to five seconds it "hiccups" and i can't figure out why. I just fed it a piece of scallop which he instantly took, and now he is eating it but upside down, partially resting on his head, or so it seems.. I had never seen this in my other octo, is this normal?

I think you are talking about a "bobbing" motion, kinda like its "nods". I think all the octos I've kept have done this. Not sure what the purpose is, but I think it's pretty normal. My little briareus likes hanging out upside down underneath a rock in the kritter keeper, kinda squished between the bottom of the keeper and the rock.

Pictures of the brown spot will help.

No, my other would do the bobbing motion, but this more of a violent flinching. I just went to check on him and he was completely laying on his head while flinching and he had the curly cue look. I felt this wasn't good at all so i decided to let him loose in the tank, the only problem is that the divider in the tank is not completely finished yet, so hopefully Fecha will be smart and stay one of her many dens and lay low for a bit, while i get the last parts that i need in the mail. I know it was risky but McLovin didnt seem like he was doing good at all, but now that i released him he is not laying on his head and his arms are stretched out, although he is still doing the flinching thing.

here is a pic of the weird thing on his arm, it is actually more blue colored than brown.

Attachments

• conv_292203.jpg
    conv_292203.jpg
    819 KB · Views: 88
yea thats what i have been doing since i brought him home yesterday, although today i turned on the light on my nano reef which hopefully doesn't bother him too much.

I cant really tell, since he's in the dark now, but from what i remember it wasn't limp, and i think he used it just like any other. My fear is that it's an infection that will spread elsewhere.

I just checked on him and he is on a rock half exposed. He seems to be doing a lot better, the only thing is that he still hiccups, but besides that he seems perfectly fine. I'm starting to wonder if this is just a tick, because i remember him doing it when i was acclimating him also, but i thought it was just stress.

Ok both octopuses are out right now, and they seem to be keeping to themselves. McLovin has been exploring the tank in a very cautious manner while Fecha came up to the top of the tank as she usually does. She happily took a piece of scallop, but McLovin didn't want to and pushed it away. He is probably still full since i fed him a few hours ago. I am just trying to keep them both as full as possible so they wont feel there is a need to compete with each other for food.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back