MBARI tour Friday, August 5 - 40 spaces only

Squidman,

Boots ought to be worn to protect your feet from getting crushed by high tech heavy equipment on the decks of the MBARI vessel we'll be visiting. Plus, this isn't sunny So. Cal we're going to be visiting, so closed-toe shoes are probably more practical anyway.

I'm going to get my own tour tomorrow when I go to help dissect a few Humbolts. Lou even said that I could have one if I want. Don't know how I'm going to do that on a motorcylce, but I think I'll have to try. As long as he doesn't mind, I'll post some pictures later.

Your very own humboldt?! Maybe you should seat it upright behind you with it's tentacles wrapped around your midsection for the ride home! :biggrin2:

Melissa said:
I only wish we'd get to go underwater with the MBARI gear!

Pipsquek, is that Lou Zoidberg, TONMOcom presenter, giving you a humboldt?

Melissa

Zoidberg!! From Futurama?

Yep, that's the one, Melissa. You can thank me for that presentation actually. He came into my store and saw Big Red about 3 months ago, so we atarted talking and he said that he had a few of them to dissect and would give me a call when the time came so that I could check it out. Anyway, one of the things I talked about was TONMOcon, and I told him who to contact, and that there were probably some spots available if he was interested.

So I went out there today. I didn't get much of a tour, and I passed up the chance to bring one home because dissecting it pretty much made it useless for me as a model, but I did learn some really cool stuff about squid. I also met one of the aquarist from MBA that takes care of the jellyfish.

I don't know when I'll get the chance to start on it but I have definitely decided to make one in the near future, but I still have some more research to do, and I have to finish the mermaid I have been working on.

pipsquek said:
Yep, that's the one, Melissa. You can thank me for that presentation actually. He came into my store and saw Big Red about 3 months ago, so we atarted talking and he said that he had a few of them to dissect and would give me a call when the time came so that I could check it out. Anyway, one of the things I talked about was TONMOcon, and I told him who to contact, and that there were probably some spots available if he was interested.

So I went out there today. I didn't get much of a tour, and I passed up the chance to bring one home because dissecting it pretty much made it useless for me as a model, but I did learn some really cool stuff about squid. I also met one of the aquarist from MBA that takes care of the jellyfish.

I don't know when I'll get the chance to start on it but I have definitely decided to make one in the near future, but I still have some more research to do, and I have to finish the mermaid I have been working on.

wait..they keep jellyfish there!?

chrono_war01 said:
I'd love to see them swim around in a tank! Hope I'm not too late...

I believe both MBA has a permanent jellies exhibit, so you needn't worry about missing out on that. It sounds like there is also an extra one you might miss, but the permanent one is pretty substantial. I think Monterey was the first Aquarium to do a large-scale jellies exhibit in the US, and it was so successful that they made it permanent, and many other US aquaria have them now... I know Long Beach does, and I think the one in New Orleans does as well. So you should have jellies aplenty.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back