MBARI Mid-water ecology cruise Nov 2014

The cruise is over now; we got back in Tuesday night. I've been a little quiet here because I couldn't say anything about the amazing anglerfish we saw ("black sea devil", Melanocetus sp.) until MBARI had posted it first. There should be a YouTube video about it soon so watch their channel! Not a ceph, but every person on the ship who was not actively doing something else was gathered in the control room, gaping at this thing. Also, a deep-sea octopus, Graneledone boreopacifica (same species/location as the amazing brooding female, but couldn't tell whether this one had eggs or not). I spent today in MBARI's video lab looking at archived footage of Taonius for a project, and on Sunday it's home time... carting about 8lbs of specimens with me! Customs will be fun :roll:

Attachments

• Graneledone.jpg
    Graneledone.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 396
  • anglerfish.jpg
    anglerfish.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 288
Wow, what great pictures of that squid! Was it still alive when you got the beak shot?

As a kid, I had cardboard hard covered books and most of them had a back cover advertisement for a book about the ocean that featured a toothy angler. I don't think I ever actually had the ocean book that was advertised but I still remember that scary fish image.

I subscribe to MBARI's YouTube channel so I will post the video when it shows up.

Kat, outstanding pictures! I still wonder if Kir Nesis' assessment of Galiteuthis ML might be correct...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back