• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

May Have flamboyant hook-up

Can I just add that it's precisely this type of thoughtful deliberation that warmed me to this forum in the first place: I tip my hat to the lot of you...

Illithid said:
Now panther chameleons are available from many breeders across the southeast U.S. because they are expensive and beautiful.

Just curious, has there been any initiative among hobbyists (or others) to captive breed these guys for release back into the wild, or to try to release at least some of them to replace those originally collected?

Tintenfisch said:
Just curious, has there been any initiative among hobbyists (or others) to captive breed these guys for release back into the wild, or to try to release at least some of them to replace those originally collected?

Not to my knowledge because the problem is the lack of habitat itself. The way Madagascar is getting raped it will be uninhabitable for chameleons quickly. Logging and urban sprawl is decimating the areas that you can get to for releasing the animals. People are trying to buy up parcels of land, but parcels turn into little islands of rain forest. Animals need wider tracks to thrive, so it is a uphill battle.

I was on the board of directors of the Central Florida Herpetological Society and we bought land and paid for research on endangered reptiles. We bought radio collars for tracking animals to get ranges needed, etc. We even paid for bullets to shoot habitat-rampaging goats on Galapagos (which was government sanctioned and sponsered.)

Brock Fluharty said:
I don't think anyone has accomplished any major (if any) breeding of the flamboyants. I just did a google search for a flamboyant image, and they are gorgeous, but not worth it IMO.

Righty has an awesome movie of the flamboyant he had for a while, I think it's just called metasepia... search the movies here or on his web site (stickycricket or daisyhillcuttlefarm)

I just realized that I can also get flamboyant cuttles, but I won't. I just saw them on my wholesalers list. I guess that if Righty wanted a few, I would get them for him, but not unless they are a very reputable breeder. Nothing less, and i'm sure he already has his "guy" for flammys. They are nice looking though.

An Update:
I have been informed that the supplier currently has four individuals, and 3 festons of eggs. After reading what colin and others wrote i have decided to resist the temptation of getting the adults. I will however do my best to get the eggs, as they would certainly not survive if left on their own. On the other hand, i will not go passing out flam eggs like the easter bunny. If one of the more seasoned members of the forum, or someone who i feel is capable of keeping these amazing animals wants some of the eggs, then i would have no proublem sending them some. To those who frown upon my actions, i respect your opinion and would agree with you in most instances. However i feel that a captive rasied Flamboyant future is not impossible.

I definately think egg collection is the best way. Obviously no-one wants the flams and mimics of the world to dissappear but your average hobbyist just doesnt know about their plight. They will see one at a not-so-reputable importer, and impulse buy. I dont blame them, they are fascinating animals, and if you havent heard otherwise you'd naturally assume that you could be happy with your purchace.

Which is why I think eggs are the answer. We cant stop(well some of you importers can make a small difference :biggrin2: ) this collection from going on but if you can supply baby flams you might be able to make a bigger difference.
Eggs have a very small chance of making it to adulthood in the wild. So the effect of harvesting eggs probably has a very small effect compared to harvesting adults.
Added to that they travel well, are reasonably easy to raise, and you get heaps of flams for your troubles.

Does anyone know how many flams there are out there? I know its hard to tell but is there some definate answers on whether the population is declining?

I can also get something called a paper nautilus? I have only ever heard of chamered nautiluses. It kind of looks like a chambered nautilus, but it has wierd suction cups on it's mantle, and is sort of rounded on it's "shell".

I am assuming they are rare? Now, I am not getting one, ever, but what are the requirements? The same as a chambered nautilus? The wholesaler is in the Phillipines, not sure if that says anything...

One of our biologists should jump in here and tell us more, because I really don't know much about their scarcity. My understanding is they are more like shelled octopus rather than a true Nautilus. Do a google search and you'll see some good pictures.

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back