Massive Azores floater, Haliphron atlanticus, anyone?

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Extremely talented underwater photographer Jan Reyniers snapped this crumb off the sperm whale table while diving off the Azores. I would initially ID this as a fairly large specimen of H. atlanticus. Concur/Conflict?

Edit: I found some additional work by JR, worth sharing...

There's another fragment of, again, in my opinion, H. atlanticus in JR's 2009 online Azores portfolio at http://www.janreyniers.com

Plus, for those of you interested in Great White Sharks and (mating) Sepia apama, look at the South Australia portfolio, pretty breathtaking.

NOT in a cage with a long zoom would I ... I WOULD love to see the leafy dragon up close and personal in situ though and there other sharks I would mind seeing. Some really nice photography.

Upvote 0
We adopted our youngest son from Chile twentty years ago but that won't count for contacts. Great country and people there so I hope she/he makes a connection.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back