Mark Trail's Take On Squid

i070415marktrail.jpg

And here's the Comics Curmudgeon's take: Let it never be said that the Sunday Mark Trail strips aren’t educational and informative. Without them, I’d probably still view elephants as gentle, endangered herbivores rather than the murderous, yam-poaching menaces that they are. Today, I learned that, despite all my assumptions and common sense, great herds of squid can and occasionally do leap out of the water in precise, Olympic-synchronized-swimming-quality formation. It’s a good thing I learned this in the safe confines of the comics, because I think that if I had encountered a flying flock of squid in real life I would have been reduced to a quivering, urine-soaked lump of fear.

For more insight into the subtle (and not-so-subtle) absurdities of modern newspaper comic strips check out The Comics Curmudgeon.

Speaking of dang, if you flip the squid from the first panel upside-down, he looks a lot like the mystery critter from the Unknown Phylum thread. Methinks Mr. Trail may be on to something...

Who said he isn't behind it? :smile:

i think i remember posting another mark trail about architeuthis in the 'sunday comics' thread here in C&E.... i hope it has not been lost to the attachment monster that occasionally spirits off some good stuff....

Maybe they are not flying and the blue is supposed to be water. The bird could be one that dives (some upto 60 feet!)... Well it COULD be.

I actually thought the snippets were very good and packed a bunch of info in a tiny space.

Here's another good one, the elephant strip referenced by the Curmudgeon:
i070311marktrail.jpg

Granted, elephants can be dangerous, but I think what humans have done to them as a species far outweighs what they may do to us. What does this guy use for references?

What about the hippos?? They kill more people in African than any other animal. Hungry Hungry Hippos. Remember that game? They should have used little people instead of marbles.

pipsquek;93122 said:
What about the hippos?? They kill more people in African than any other animal. Hungry Hungry Hippos. Remember that game? They should have used little people instead of marbles.

I always thought it was water buffalo that snuffed out most, after female Anopheles, obviously... Ah well, as the saying goes: there's lies, big lies, really BIG lies, and statistics :biggrin2:

no no no the mosquito is the most dangerous creature in Africa, because it carries malaria.

I love the way he says the Elephant is now one of Africa's biggest problems. Let's just take a look at the BBC headlines for Africa today:

Not a tremendous amount of elephant problems being reported there.

Attachments

• conv_290679.jpg
    conv_290679.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 154
:banghead: I don't know whether to laugh or cry at his horrid use of "farm ecosystems" in the elephant strip.

I've got news for him, it was the ecosystem which was there first and the farm is the one interfering!!

I hate people...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back