Mark Montague (monty)

OMG.... this is a terrible shock and a tragedy. While I never met Monty personally, I was familiar with his posts and I know what a valued contributor, moderator, and webmaster he was to TONMO. He will be in my memory and my prayers. And as Sorseress said, I think some kind of a memorial would certainly be in order.

Sadly,
Tani

I'm shocked and saddened by his untimely death. I met Monty at Tonmocon and spent some time with him. He was intelligent, fun, and was someone you could rely on.

Rest in peace, Monty. We'll miss you.

Nancy

I am also one of the lucky ones that got to spend some time with Monty at TONMOCON II in Sarasota. I am still digesting the news and am just kind of empty. He was an experienced diver so he would have had on an inflatable BC and if the tank failed he should have been able to shed his gear to snorkel so I wonder if the problems were physical rather than the equipment. I guess you can't second guess how it should have turned out differently but it is haunting to lose someone this way. I really haven't accepted it mentally.

:monty:

Attachments

• conv_296632.jpg
    conv_296632.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 115
Oh dear.

I have a several photos of us that I'll find and post away when I get back home.

His tireless enthusiasm, and depth of knowledge on so many things were wonderful attributes. I often chuckle about the state of his car - the amount of rubbish he hoarded in it was remarkable - it took nearly 5 minutes to readjust it all just so I could squeeze my less-than-immense frame in there.

I remember OB posting pictures of Mark's forever project 'stang from one of OB's minicon tours. I had one similar as a teen and my son has had several models (including his current convertible) starting with a 1965.

I never had the fortune to meet Monty in "real life" but I did have quite a few online chats with him over the years. It's very sad to hear of such an untimely death and my thoughts are with those who are close to him.

On TONMO.com he certainly was enthusiastic and I always appreciated his playing the Devil's Advocate in discussions especially in threads about mimics and wunderpus!

It's a safe bet that most new members had their first ever post on TONMO answered firstly by Monty with a friendly welcome and a point in the right direction.

Very sad

Mark Montague (monty)

Yes, a memorial of some kind is appropriate for sure. I will be working on that. In the meantime this thread is the right place to mourn his death and celebrate his life.

It is slow to sink in. Monty was at all 3 TONMOCONs and I will miss him at all future ones. We shared a birthday as well and I will certainly remember him on that day going forward.

It's a cold and hard fact that life moves so quickly and has so many demands that you often don't have the time or inclination to show the appreciation you inwardly feel is due to the people who touch your life in a positive way.

One wonderful night in Florida, TONMOcon II; the team

Attachments

• conv_296634.jpg
    conv_296634.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 150
  • conv_296635.jpg
    conv_296635.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 139
  • conv_296636.jpg
    conv_296636.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 128

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back