• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Marine buffer or reef buffer?

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
I'm talking about the products from Seachem....the difference between these two seems to be that reef buffer will raise kH when pH is not an issue.

Since an Octo tank is not exactly a reef tank but similar, I would think reef buffer would be used, but I'm not sure.

Which is the more suitable product for an octo tank?

It depends more on your water. If your PH stays between 8.3 and 8.4, you don't need a buffer at all. Theoretically, once you establish your PH, your RO water (which is neutral) should take on the properties of the tank when you add fresh. Your synthetic salt will have a buffer that should be all you need. However, this is not always the case, especially for new tanks. For several years, my PH would run low without adding buffering. Once the tanks were well established, this was no longer necessary. If you do find you need to buffer, I recommend one of the brands that are designed to minimize the chance of over-buffering. So SeaChem's Marine would be my choice but I have not used SeaChem's Reef product. Reading the product blurb, SeaChem is directed at tanks whose inhabitants tend to lower the PH (corals) and is targeted for animals that you would not keep with an octopus. If you add a buffering component, add a small amount to either your top off water or your salt exchange water, never add the buffer directly to your aquarium,

My pH has been around 8.2 - 8.3 (somewhat hard to be specific with the tests). I've just been adding it as a precaution, especially while I was cycling, as I didn't want anything to stall.

I think you answered my question though....Marine buffer is more suitable to an octo tank than Reef buffer, if I should need a buffer at all.

I'm going to add some crabs and a star to my tank (and maybe some pods as I have none at present), and will monitor and track pH levels to see if I need it.

Thanks

I wouldn't add that stuff. A pH between 7.9 and 8.5 is fine, and pH is very difficult to control in saltwater tanks. pH will also vary during the day, so if you are seeing variation, make sure you are taking the sample at the same time of day. Adding chemicals to chase pH generally means that you will always be adding chemicals and that your pH will vary more because of the addition. My advice is to let it settle and leave it alone.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back