Marine Biologists needed for rock video! PLEASE HELP!

Toren

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
(cross posted to culture and entertainment)

Hello all, this is Toren, tonmo.com frequenter and lead singer for the Lovecraftian rock band, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets. In a few days I'll be released to the interweb one of the tracks of our forthcoming album "The Shadow Out of Tim." The track is called "A Marine Biologist" and it is, well, about bathyscaphes, benthic trawlers, architeuthis, etc.

I would like to create a video for this track that essentially features marine biologists from across the globe. The idea would simply be a series of video clips of marine biologists doing what they (you?) do, with text at the bottom of the screen detailing who it is we're looking at, their location and specialty. So, for example, if we got a clip of Dr O'Shea, it would read:

DR. STEVEN O'SHEA
AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND (and/or specific institution)
SPECIALTY: THE GIANT SQUID

The footage doesn't need to be created from scratch just for the video - I'm perfectly happy with any video of any quality where it's clear who the marine biologist is, and that he/she/you are in their element - whether that be in the lab, on site, in the water...whatever.

So the entire video would be like a profile of worldwide marine biologists set to the most rockin' song you've heard in a long time (and I will tell you where you can download the song within probably 48 hours). Hopefully the video would appear on various music/TV shows--MTV, Muchmusic, and their equivalents, but at the very least it would go out throughout the internet, youtube, on our site, and into your hands as well to do with as you wish.

To make this happen - I need your cooperation!

If you are a marine biologist and want to help out would you:

a) contact me at [email protected] and we can work out how to get video footage from you
b) provide a statement that you give permission for The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets to use the footage and your likeness strictly for the purpose of this music video
c) see also (d) below!

If you are not a marine biologist, can you please

d) spread this around to any marine biologists you know, or anyone you think might know a marine biologist!

THANKS SO MUCH - if we can get this done I think it would be really fun!

Toren Atkinson
302-1015 West 13th Ave
Vancouver BC Canada
v6H 1N1
604-737-4283
[email protected]

MORE MARINE BIOLOGISTS WANTED!

Here is the "demo animatic" for The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets "A Marine Biologist" music video. This is in no way a hard, set edit. None of the stills used in the demo will appear in the final version. It is designed to present the spirit of the final product, and little else.

The main crux of the video is to highlight marine biologists. As you can see, the scientists name and occupation/background/specialty will be presented on the screen for all to see. If you work in marine biology this is an extremely rockin' way to promote yourself! And also fun.

- Marine biologist footage will be donated by the marine biologists presented. Optimally, footage will show the marine biologist "at work" and the face will be visible. Some scientists in the Vancouver area may be filmed by our crew if we can set up an appointment.
- Animal footage will primarily be provided by Dr Chris Harvey-Clark. Any footage of cephalopods or extremely cool marine stuff (bathyscaphes or humboldt squid, for example) will be very welcome from any source.
- Band footage is still to be determined. Options are to shoot the band underwater in someone's pool (anyone know someone in the Vancouver BC area who would let us use the pool for an afternoon). and/or in and around a real bathyscaphe.

None of the marine biologists pictured, or their photographers, have been asked permission to use the stills seen here (except Kat & Steve) - hopefully that's not a problem but if it is I will gladly and quidkly take it down from youtube forthwith. Right now, youtube is the quickest and easiest way to link to the video. This is only a demo!

If the link doesn't work for you, I have an alternate: http://www.thickets.net/toren/buccal.mov
It may take up to 2 minutes to load.

Toren Atkinson
lead singer for The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets
[email protected]
604-737-4283

Attachments

• conv_291858.jpg
    conv_291858.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 93
  • conv_291859.jpg
    conv_291859.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 88
  • conv_291860.jpg
    conv_291860.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 98
  • conv_291861.jpg
    conv_291861.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 118
more photos from our live show on Sep 1 2007

Attachments

• conv_291862.jpg
    conv_291862.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 101
  • conv_291863.jpg
    conv_291863.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 97
  • conv_291864.jpg
    conv_291864.jpg
    705 KB · Views: 138

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back