MAR-ECO Research Cruise

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
:periscop:

Having been offline for what feels like years, I'll now drop in again for about a week... during the CIAC Symposium, I was offered the chance to join an upcoming MAR-ECO research expedition to the South Atlantic! Good stuff: (other than the obvious going to sea for five weeks and looking at really cool stuff as it comes up :heee:): I'm working on a couple of groups with little reported material from this area; it will be my first time on a proper researchy-type ship (and what a ship it is!); and I kind of like the ocean a little bit. Not so good stuff: I will have been back from the previous trip less than three weeks and will leave the day before our first anniversary. :hmm:
We will depart from Las Palmas (Canaries) on 25 October and return into Cape Town on 30 November, zig-zagging our way down the mid-Atlantic Ridge (I believe) and stopping at ten planned stations for nine samples each (three each benthic, midwater and surface). Still working out the exact plan for processing ceph specimens - I have wish lists from about five people so far. :roll:
Not sure how much web access there will be once we depart, but hopefully email at least, so I can send Steve updates!

:boat:

What a wonderful opportunity! Nice ship, too! Am looking forward to your reports (emails to Steve, at least) and to lots of interesting photos!

Nancy

Awsome! Just AWSOME!!!

I am not so sure about the gift shop :confused: and all the talk about ice :rolleyes: (We need a polar cepth smiley for you and Greg now).

It would be a rather unfortunate event if you happened to prove that there are squid/octos that could sink ships. Always wear your camera so if we find you it can be published that you were the first to film it live. :sagrin:

For anyone who has not found it, I went looking for news of Tintenfisch and found the Akademik Ioffe (her ship) journal for this trip.

No whales were sighted today, but hundreds of flying fish have leapt and glided away from the ship's hull (Kat caught one of them in mid-air in this beautiful photo).

Attachments

• conv_295583.jpg
    conv_295583.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 102
Hi guys! Wow, things have changed around here...
The cruise was good fun and there were lots of interesting little cephs to play with. I'll post some photos here soon (after I work out the new format maybe :wink:); I'm also finally getting some posted on my blog (thanks for the link above, Monty). We got ~270 specimens, 44 species from 22 families in total, 25% of which were cranchiids. Also a few onychos, enoplos and histios, gelatinous octos, and some single individuals of rarer stuff like Neoteuthis and Vampyroteuthis. Plenty of stuff to work on now that I'm back!

Photos!

OK, sorry it took me a little while to start posting these. Here are some photos of cephs from the cruise. All the cephs we got were paralarval/juvenile, less than 50mm total length, most ML

Attachments

• conv_295700.jpg
    conv_295700.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 119
  • conv_295701.jpg
    conv_295701.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 92
  • conv_295702.jpg
    conv_295702.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 103
  • conv_295703.jpg
    conv_295703.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 87
And here are some cranchiids. Bearing in mind that the family is in serious need of revision and ID of juvenile specimens is provisional as best, we think we have (in order): Galiteuthis armata, Liocranchia reinhardti, and Cranchia scabra. The final one is a small ommastrephid that we also got at most stations but haven't ID'd to species yet.

Attachments

• conv_295704.jpg
    conv_295704.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 109
  • conv_295705.jpg
    conv_295705.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 92
  • conv_295707.jpg
    conv_295707.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 83
  • conv_295706.jpg
    conv_295706.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 103

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back